FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help with cleaning up interviews taken at a conference!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
Help with cleaning up interviews taken at a conference!
on Oct 23, 2009 at 4:37:09 pm

Hi,

I filmed at a conference and naively thought my shot gun mic and built in microphone on my EX1 would be enough to capture interviews. Unfortunately it wasn't and I am left with many clips where even when I boost the sound of the clip to near peaking, the vocal is still very low in comparison with the crowd noise.

Is this solvable? I have soundtrack pro and would be greatly appreciative if someone could help me with a solution.

Thanks

Olly

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Help with cleaning up interviews taken at a conference!
on Oct 23, 2009 at 5:50:16 pm

Hello Olly and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Soundtrack Pro has some noise reduction capabilities, but I have no idea if they will work. Try it and let us know.

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Oct 24, 2009 at 7:11:07 am

Chalk it up to experience and remember it for next time.

Experiment with Soundtrack Pro and see what you can do...not much, I doubt, though. Good luck.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Marcello Mazzilli
on Oct 24, 2009 at 12:42:26 pm

If you give us a link to a test file.. just audio not video.. we can try to do something.
M

siRoma di Marcello Mazzilli
Corporate video productions in Italy
http://www.siroma.com

Return to posts index

Spencer Sternberg
on Nov 2, 2009 at 5:05:49 am

I would experiment first with a compressor (to boost levels whilst keeping the output from clipping) and equalization to cut out as much of the room noise you can. If you have access to a noise reduction plugin that would be ideal also.

Finding the balance between boosting levels, equalization, multi-band compression, expanders and noise reduction techniques, is a difficult job, especially when the part of the original sound file you want to boost is so low. I think experimentation is the key.

Another technique you could try, is to duplicate the track several times, so you were playing say three tracks of the same audio track, and use equalization to pull out all the room noise.

I haven't used soundtrack pro before, but if it has some of these plugins you could be on your way to a better sound file.

Spencer Sternberg
Audio for Games
http://www.spencersternberg.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]