FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is This a Good Lavalier Mic Setup ?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Howard Ferguson
Is This a Good Lavalier Mic Setup ?
on Oct 18, 2009 at 6:44:38 am

Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series - Table Top/Rack Mountable UHF Diversity Lavalier Wireless System with EM100G2 Receiver, SK100G2 Belt Pack Transmitter and ME-2 Lavalier Microphone (Channel Set "A": 518-554 MHz)

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Is This a Good Lavalier Mic Setup ?
on Oct 18, 2009 at 11:48:19 am

Hello Howard and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The Sennheiser G2 is a sold entry level wireless system. It has recently been replaced by the G3, which I have not reviewed yet, but does offer some advantages over the G2, not the least of which is a better lavalier.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Howard Ferguson
on Oct 18, 2009 at 5:46:57 pm

Hi Ty,

Thanks very much for your response.

We are new to doing sound for video.
We're using a Panasonic AG-DVX100A camera, but the built in mics result in too much room noise, and reverberation in the voices recorded.

We're doing a documentary, and would like to capture the sound at a respectable quality, for as low a price as possible to achieve it.

I'm thinking wireless Lavalier is the best way to go, because a lot of it will be a talking head in front of a green screen-
But part of it will be walking around and talking on locations.

And we don't have a crew to facilitate a lot of setup and operation.

Could you recommend something that would be a good choice for these needs ?

Thanks for your help !

Howard Ferguson

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
on Oct 18, 2009 at 5:56:42 pm

I believe the one you referenced said "table top" in it. That means the receiver is a rack unit that needs to be plugged in. For a documentary, I would suggest looking at the version where the receiver is a bodypack unit, which is battery powered. Much easier to deal with in the field. As Ty said, the G2 units are solid, just be sure not to get the "C" frequency units. More info can be found by searching here. Lots of posts on wireless lav setups.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Howard Ferguson
on Oct 18, 2009 at 8:03:46 pm

Thanks very much for this info Rob!

Are there 4 mic input channels on all those receivers ?
Camera mount and table models ?

I don't understand the differences between the "A" and "B", etc models.

Could anyone illuminate that ?

These similar Evolution G2 100 models would all result in respectable audio quality ?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/324242-REG/Sennheiser_EW112PG2_A_Evol...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Wireless-Systems/pn/15/ci/15419/N/4291086...

Howard

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Oct 18, 2009 at 9:09:56 pm

1. "Are there 4 mic inputs on the receivers?"
- No, each receiver can only handle one microphone transmitting to it at one time. If multiple units are tuned to the same frequency, they will interfere with each other.

2. "Camera mount and table mount?"
- There is a shoe that you clip the mic onto; it fits into the small "frezzi light" slot on the top of the camera. The camera mount IS removable, and actually comes uninstalled.

3. "...the difference between 'A' and 'B' models..."
- The RF frequency ranges that the transmitters and receivers use are broken up into chunks (A, B, C, etc.), usually in ascending order of frequency. The "C" range is in the 700MHz region of the spectrum, which is now off-limits due to the transition to DTV from analog signal.

We have a bunch (7?) of the ENG kits at my university; I coordinated them using Sennheiser's coordination software and they have been rock solid performers. The fact that they use AA batteries is a nice convenience, also. I have not seen or used the G3 yet, but the G2s should be selling cheaper now that the new line is out.

Any other questions, contact Sennheisers or let us know here. :-)

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Howard Ferguson
on Oct 19, 2009 at 7:56:08 am

Thank you Jordan !

So, it's one Receiver per Microphone ?
One Mic and Receiver per portable Camera mount setup ?

I'm curious what one does, if they need to use two of those Mics for a portable shoot ?

With the portable receivers-
they use a mini jack instead of the XLR.  
Is this going to be be good quality, considering there is an adapter involved ?

Thanks again to you, and to all, for all this very helpful information !

Howard

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 19, 2009 at 2:17:35 pm

[Howard Ferguson] "So, it's one Receiver per Microphone ?
One Mic and Receiver per portable Camera mount setup ?

>>Yes, normally. I have used one transmitter with several receivers in a few situations. One receiver fed the house PA system, the other fed a recorder or camera. We did this because the "house system" we were working with, where we could put our gear and what they wanted us to do required it.

::You could have a dozen or more receivers all tuned to the same transmitter. You just can't have two transmitters on the same frequency. In fact, even if two transmitters are NOT on the same frequency, you need them to be X far away in frequency (model depending) or they will interact.

>>I'm curious what one does, if they need to use two of those Mics for a portable shoot ?

::Put each on it's own frequency while observing the proper frequency spacing per the manual. Several wireless mic companies make two channel receivers. Some even slip into a slot on the camera.

>>With the portable receivers- they use a mini jack instead of the XLR.  
Is this going to be be good quality, considering there is an adapter involved ?

::The Sennheiser adapter cables are really pretty good.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Howard Ferguson
on Oct 19, 2009 at 8:42:35 pm

Thanks very much for illuminating this Ty !

Could you refer me to a few respectable two channel systems, in the lower end of the price range ?

Are the setups with a lot of Lavaliers usually done with single channel units ? Then putting the receivers into the mixing board ?

Like the nightly talk shows, for instance ?

Also, I'm just curious-
Do they give each incoming channel it's separate audio channel, for mixing options- or mix to stereo at that point ?
Separate tracks into Final Cut from a mixer is possible, yes ?

I haven't approached audio this way yet in Final Cut, but I'd done multiTrack audio recording for many years with Digital Performer.

Thinking of perhaps doing it with Final Cut with a MOTU Traveler.

Thank to everyone for all your help !

Howard

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 19, 2009 at 10:30:25 pm

Could you refer me to a few respectable two channel systems, in the lower end of the price range ?

>>Audio Technica 1800

Are the setups with a lot of Lavaliers usually done with single channel units ? Then putting the receivers into the mixing board ?

>>Yes

Like the nightly talk shows, for instance ?

Also, I'm just curious-
Do they give each incoming channel it's separate audio channel, for mixing options- or mix to stereo at that point ?

>>Each mic will have its own input. Sometimes they do a straight stereo program mix. Sometimes they record isolated tracks as well in case they have to remix later.

Separate tracks into Final Cut from a mixer is possible, yes ?

>>Haven't tried more than 2

I haven't approached audio this way yet in Final Cut, but I'd done multiTrack audio recording for many years with Digital Performer.

Thinking of perhaps doing it with Final Cut with a MOTU Traveler

Depends on whether FCP will see the traveler. Let us know how that works.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Ricardo Ismach
on Feb 26, 2010 at 6:11:21 pm

I use a MOTU Traveler on a Mac Pro, it plays very nice with FCP (6 and 7) as well as Logic, etc.

Ricardo Ismach
Casual Dog Productions, LLC
Portland, Atlanta
http://www.casualdog.org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]