FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help: how to make a whoosh?!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Huss
Help: how to make a whoosh?!
on Oct 16, 2009 at 10:11:05 pm

Hello,

Big question: how do you make a whoosh? how do you mix a whoosh? You know, when you watch CSI, you've got this flashback the image fades into, and that nice "whoosh", sort of a white noise vaporizing (high to low) or freezing (low to high)...

My findings:
1. you're lucky enough to have a synthesizer that does the job for you and generates a whoosh you can play with.
2. you generate a noise (let's say white), you play with EQ automation, I've tried that but I can't help thinking it's the way it's actually done in the industry, too much knobs to tweak! Plus I often get a sound that's not smooth at all...
3. you add reverb, you reverse/reverb and flip it over again... what is the trick with reverb?! When I add 2 reverbs subsequently to the same sound, I get unbearable artifacts!

I know my share about sound, and I'm not giving up on this, but I'm back up against the wall holding my head in my hands...

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Help: how to make a whoosh?!
on Oct 17, 2009 at 11:48:20 am

Hello Justin and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

http://www.sound-ideas.com/whoosh3.html

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Oct 17, 2009 at 10:26:33 pm

Whooshes EVERYWHERE
Im overrun with whooshes
What do you want - airy, synthy, whippy, bassy, reverse

Investing in sfx libraries costs thousands, but gives you near enough everyting you could ever want. (except zombies having sex I discovered recently so interesting adr session) - but costs!
I can email something if you give an address.
Approx duration needed

Peter

Return to posts index

Justin Huss
on Oct 17, 2009 at 11:36:39 pm

Thanks for your answers. I must say I'm not really an adept of buying sound effects but some day I'll realize I just can't do everything myself...

Meanwhile, thanks Peter for your offer but I think I'd have to do it myself. Here is my issue: I've got this five minutes video with a line (tubular thing) that moves around forward and basically you follow it for 5 minutes. I'd have liked to lay a few whooshes over that as the line dramatically changes its trajectory. I'm afraid it'd have to be made by me...

But I'll definitely consider the "whooshes EVERYWHERE" and try to actually make something different... thanks for the offer though :)

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 18, 2009 at 3:31:18 pm

Google free whoosh. I'll bet you'll find some that way. Also, programs like Apple's Garage Band and other loop-based programs have SFX, some including whooshes.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
on Oct 19, 2009 at 5:04:26 pm

You can buy-by-the-sound at Sonomic and SoundDogs. I forget which one has a $2.99 per sound special this month.

Return to posts index

Jessica Brown
Re: how to make a whoosh?!
on Sep 18, 2013 at 8:23:17 am

Hi there!

I also need a woosh sound if you could help me out that would be amazing! It's for a project I'm doing at work to go with a 4 second clip of the word "LONDON" flying towards and past the screen,

Thanks so much :-)

Jess

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 18, 2013 at 2:35:19 pm

Hello Jessica and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Why not try one from SoundDogs.com?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Justin Huss
on Sep 18, 2013 at 2:40:12 pm

Hi Jess,

It is important that you know what kind of whoosh you're after. More in the low-end and the object it is related to will be given a sense of weight, more in the high-end and it will sound light or even swift.

I suggest you take a listen to Tim Prebble's HISSandaROAR "Swishes" library: http://hissandaroar.com/sd002-swishes/.

If you're looking for something low-endy you'd either take one and pitch it down a bit, otherwise don't hesitate to record yourself making sounds with your mouth. It's quite effective and you've got yourself a unique, quick and easy sound.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Sep 18, 2013 at 4:35:34 pm

Upload the pictures as a video file and well take a look

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]