FORUMS: list search recent posts

crowd mics

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Mack
crowd mics
on Oct 15, 2009 at 2:21:17 am

Hello all, I am looking to add a few crowd mics to my arsenal. I go to live venues to record video. I bring my Digi 003 and input some lavs for interviews, a handheld mic for impromptu interviews and a board feed. I send those to my camera. I am looking to do a better job on the crowd noise though. Many times I go to a venue where only the vocals are going through a small board. I am looking to beef up my sound especially going to web video. SO if I set up a couple of crowd mics - maybe I should put up on stage near accousic amps- I hope to get a better overall sound. Let's open the discussion peeps.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: crowd mics
on Oct 15, 2009 at 3:28:51 am

Hello Jeff and welcome back to the Cow Audio Forum.

If you could put the mics on the periphery of the sounds, I'd suggest some shotgun or stereo mics like the Audio Technica BP4029.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/9087c643d6d7530f/index.html

So much depends on where you can mount the mics and what's going on around them. I say this because if/when the sound gets around past 110 degrees from center and continues around back, the stereo get a little wacky. Also any sound coming into the side of a shotgun will be pretty wonky. If you have a wash of sound coming in from many different directions and you want that, put up some omni mics. If you want to limit the sound to specific directions, use cardioids or super cardioids.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: crowd mics
on Oct 15, 2009 at 5:23:28 am

I'd recommend 2-3 mics, depending on what you have at your disposal.

If you prefer shotgun, place one of each SR, CS, and SL, facing into the crowd. Angle them slightly upwards so that you don't just get the front row.

For crowd noise, I, personally, prefer to use a large-diaphragm condenser type of microphone. I use my Audio-Technica 3035, but have also used Shure KSM32s and A/T 4050s. If find they pick up less stage rumble since they are not a lobar pattern like the shotgun (similar to using a hypercardioid mic indoors as compared to a shotgun. I would place them near the main speakers, with their null zone facing the said speakers.

If, when you add in the crowd mics, it sounds a bit thin or "phasey", try delaying the crowd mic channels at 1 millisecond for every foot of distance they were away from the source.

Hope that helps ya...good luck!

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]