FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording 16 Channels

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Livings
Recording 16 Channels
on Oct 14, 2009 at 9:01:27 pm

Hi Ty and All,

I posted this over a Gear S., And no response, Any help would be appreciated.

John

I am coming out of a Soundcraft GB2R 16 with 16 analog channels (Direct Outs), I want to go into a laptop with FW or USB or ?

What type of interface can I use?

I looked at the Behringer ADA 8000 (8 in and ADAT out) and was wondering if I could
"Daisy Chain" 2 of them together (ADAT-out of unit #1 into ADAT-in of unit #2), Then come out of ADAT-out of unit #2 to some type of an ADAT to FW/USB box to the computer?

The Behringer looked nice because I can afford it.

Nothing fancy, No FX, Just a straight forward way to use this Mixer to record 16 channels.

Bringing the signal in at 44.1kHz is fine, I will change it later to 48kHz for Video.

Any thoughts will be welcome.

John

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Recording 16 Channels
on Oct 14, 2009 at 10:52:20 pm

John,

If you do get an all-in one, I would go FW, not USB, especially if you intend at ANY time to overdub.

Not that many boxes record 16 tracks simultaneously. Not ones I'd trust.

Try dedicated and mix later back though your mixer to a stereo master?:
http://www.izcorp.com/radar-v-nyquist.php

iZ makes good stuff.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

John Livings
on Oct 15, 2009 at 10:58:40 pm

Hi Ty,

I checked out the IZ Looks Great, However it runs around $16,000.00, way out of my budget.

Anyway thanks for the input,

John

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Oct 15, 2009 at 5:31:53 am

Look into a used Alesis HD24 or HD24XR. It's a standalone 24-track recorder that is purpose-built for your situation. I know and have seen many productions that carry one (but usually more) whilst on the road. There are caddies for the hard drives, so you can swap them out when they get full. Also look into purchasing the Fireport, which will let you transfer directly from the hard drive via Firewire instead of using the ethernet port on the unit.

Tascam also makes (or used to make) a unit that is similar to the HD24.

The HD24 would require a 24-pair TRS-TRS fanout; the Tascam requires TRS-DB25 cables, pinned correctly. My recommendation is to rent a few different things and figure out what works best for your situation. Try the Alesis for a week or two, then switch over to the Tascam or some other unit. Get to know the unit BEFORE THE GIG and enjoy!

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

John Livings
on Oct 15, 2009 at 11:22:56 pm

Thanks Jordan,

I went to Alesis's Website and checked out the Operating Manual, and I am still unsure how to
hook the HD24 up to my computer.

It looks like I don't have to hook to the computer, Just remove and hook up the drive to the
computer via FW or ?

The goal is to get the 16 tracks into Logic 9 on my Desktop (Mac Pro) so I can mix them down.

I like the idea of not tying up the Laptop, As i use that to throw up Backgrounds with a projector and run the Background Music

I am with you on renting first.

Again thanks for putting up the link's.

Mahalo, John

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Oct 16, 2009 at 5:18:51 am

You're very welcome. Having a dedicated solution means less stress for you and the other gear. Sometimes computers can be finicky with their buffers and the like, which can stop recording/playback midstream.

Good luck in your search and let us know how it goes and what your opinions AND decision are.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

John Livings
on Oct 30, 2009 at 8:27:46 pm

Hi Jordan and Ty,

I picked up an Alesis HD24XR, Just what I needed (Wanted).

Any suggestions on extra HDs? The unit takes IDE drives. I have tried the NEW WD Drives and they do not work.

I want to get 3 or 4, 80 Gb Drives. Each one will last 4, 45-60 minute Shows at 24 tracks, 48 kHz.

I called Alesis and they told me the newer WD drives were problematic.

All suggestions will be welcome.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]