FORUMS: list search recent posts

advice on building a temporay sound room?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
advice on building a temporay sound room?
on Oct 13, 2009 at 8:40:20 pm

About 4 years ago I built a really good double wall (drywall) alternating stud sound booth to house my TLM 103. I have a tiny bit of a noise floor, but it is nothing anyone has complained about for national spots. I do hear a helicopter fly over, but I also live ½ mile from RR tracks, and I am inner city: these sounds don’t get picked up.

I am selling my condo and need to remove the booth. The booth is also almost 5x5 and takes up space that some potential buyer might look at.

I want to build a smaller room; Just enough for me to fit inside and read. I was thinking of something 2ft 6in, x 2ft 6 in, or 3'x3' with a door. I may skip the double pane window. 6 ½ ft in height would be good since I am 6.0.

I would like to be able to break this down and carry it out. I can’t do this with my current booth. It has to be torn apart.

Would this small of a booth kill VO sound? My current room has marine carpeting and auralex. It is pretty dead. I am also about 6-8 inches off the mic.

Can I use fiber or press board as a single wall, use drywall screws to assemble the sides and top? I will have casters on the base. If I was to use basic bathroom caulking in the corners would that keep out any incoming bleeding sound? I will just paint the outside and put marine carpet in the inside. I will also baffle it for air vents.

Please offer some viable solutions. Will press board work or not? Should I try something else, or just scrap the whole project altogether.

I am 200 lbs and I know it is going to be a tight fit, but I really need 6-8 inches off the TLM-103.

Cheers.

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: advice on building a temporay sound room?
on Oct 14, 2009 at 1:43:17 pm

Cheers Nelson and welcome to the Cow AUdio Forum.

At some point the smaller the room, the more you will hear it. Your (any) voice has energy. When you speak that energy fills the space. The smaller the space the less energy it takes to energize it.

Rather than go smaller, I'd suggest you try to fix the larger space up a bit with whatever you need; isolation, diffusion, absorption.

The TLM 103 is a wonderfully cruel mistress. It's low selfnoise reveals every flaw in a space. Getting rid of the double glass (and the bounce it causes) will certainly help.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: advice on building a temporay sound room?
on Oct 14, 2009 at 7:25:32 pm

Checkout Whisper Rooms. They come apart for transit.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]