FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Shgun mic that won't pick up sound from mounting bands on boom pole

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david soriano
Need Shgun mic that won't pick up sound from mounting bands on boom pole
on Oct 12, 2009 at 5:57:48 pm

I have an AT shotgun mic that has a wide pick-up pattern. Don't know model number because for whatever reason they chose not to label it on the mic. The problem with this mic is, whenever i mount it in a rubber band thingy on the boom pole i always pick up the rubbery sound that results from the bands rubbing up against teh sides on the mic. Every time the boom gets rotated or moved a bit this mid-low frequency sound gets picked up, and obviously i can't be dealing with that. Is it due to just being a crappy mic or am i mounting the mic wrong?

I want to get maybe a Rode NTG-2, i read where it minimizes this (read it in promo info so who knows). What is my best solution here? I need a mic with a mid-wide pick-up pattern. May teh Rode not give me this...isn't it more narrow? MY budget is $250-400.

thanks

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Need Shgun mic that won't pick up sound from mounting bands on boom pole
on Oct 12, 2009 at 8:54:41 pm

Welcome to the Cow Audio Forum, David.

The rubber band mounts do require a certain understanding of how to mount the mic. You don't just stick the mic through the hole created by the bands. You cross-stretch the bands to hold the mic firmly.

If that still doesn't do it for you, try this: http://www.rycote.com/products/041107/

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

david soriano
on Oct 12, 2009 at 9:08:11 pm

yeah, i cross-stretched the bands around the mic to secure it. Still get the sounds.

Return to posts index

david soriano
on Oct 12, 2009 at 9:46:24 pm

so am i to understand that all shgun mics will have the same issue? The sides of the mic will be sensitive to touch or anything that brushes up agianst it?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Oct 12, 2009 at 10:48:46 pm

After looping the bands around the mic and mounting it in the cradle the use 2 small zip cable ties sort of diagonally through the bands to lock the rubber bands to the mic and stop them moving around.
The disadvantage is that the zip ties need to be cut to release the mic.

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Oct 12, 2009 at 10:56:06 pm

Hi David,

It's possible the AT mic is just to heavy to use with the rubber band mount. Or, with the way you're booming, you need a more secure mount for the mic. Regardless of the mic, I would use a mount by Rycote. Yes, it's not cheap, but it'll fix your problems.

Best,
Dave J

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 12, 2009 at 11:17:35 pm

David,

Can you post picture, mov or mp4 of how you have the mic suspended in the mount?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

david soriano
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:23:51 pm

is there a US dealer for Rycote?

Return to posts index

david soriano
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:25:40 pm

you might be right. It does feel/look weighed down a bit. When i bounce the pole up and down a bit the mic sways a bit. It's a longer mic too, compared to what i see for sale in comparison.

Return to posts index

david soriano
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:30:21 pm

just measured mic...it's 15" long.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:35:07 pm

picture please

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:38:47 pm

David,

I'm trying to make sure you actually need a new piece of gear. There are different models of suspension mount. If the holder rings are too close together and can't be moved and the mic is too long you get wobble.

If the rubber bands are old, you get wobble.

Again, how about posting a pix so we can see what's going on.

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

david soriano
on Oct 13, 2009 at 3:24:08 pm

give me a sec. I think you nailed it, though...too close together (band mounts) and too long/heavy of a mic.

Return to posts index

david soriano
on Oct 13, 2009 at 3:25:14 pm

i found the Rycote mount for like $80. I'm gonna get it regardless.

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Oct 14, 2009 at 6:14:42 pm

David, it may well be worth it to post a picture of the shockmount & mic you are using. You may not need to spend money.

Another thing, you stated that you need a mic with a wider pick-up pattern, yet your current mic is a 15" shotgun. Typically, long shotguns like that have a very narrow pick-up pattern. Can you maybe explain what your needs are from the mic a bit more? What applications are you using it in?

Return to posts index

david soriano
on Oct 14, 2009 at 7:25:47 pm

sorry about not being able to post pic. Been crazy busy over her and not feeling so hot on top of that. Yeah, the 15" mic does have a rather narrow pick-up pattern. I mainly use if for documentary-style shooting, where a group of people are talking, un-scripted, to the camera more or less. Sometimes to each other. The boom pole, thus, gets moved around a lot and noise from the bands gets picked up on the mic.I'm almost certain it's from the mic bouncing up and down ever so slightly.

That's why i was looking at that Rode NTG2. It's shorter. lighter and has wider pick-up range.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 14, 2009 at 9:26:50 pm

It may not have sunk in, or I may not have mentioned it, but shotgun mics are not good in interiors (or slappy exteriors). They are very directional at higher frequencies, but are quite omni at mid and low frequencies.

For slappy environments, you need a short hyper or super cardioid. The best is the Schoeps cmc641.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Oct 15, 2009 at 5:38:40 am

+1 to Ty's remark

You could also look into an Audio-Technica 4053b if you need a less-expensive alternative. BUT (and it is a large one) you will NEVER, EVER regret purchasing something of that level of quality. It is a standard for a reason - they are consistent and achieve consistent results, when used in a consistent manner. As the tools become more precise, accurate, and their use more transparent, the onus is on the operator to use it in a manner that befits the level of gear which they have.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 15, 2009 at 1:32:12 pm

I was very fortunate to have a 4053 and a cmc641 here at the same time when I was trying to decide what mic to buy. "These are pretty similar metal tubes that collect sound. How different could they be?", I thought.

I was very surprised. Not to say the 4053 is a bad mic, but the cmc641 is just on a whole different level and worth the price difference.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

david soriano
on Oct 15, 2009 at 1:53:57 pm

thanks again. I'm at a slight disadvantage over here cause i'm a one man show who often relies on non-professionals to run boom for me. Needless to say, they often treat it like a broom stick.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 15, 2009 at 4:02:45 pm

David,

There may be magic in the art and craft, but it does not extend to creating great audio with untrained craftspeople and lesser gear.

I'm not being snobby. It's just the way it is. I do understand your predicament. I get asked all the time to do location audio for free for startup projects. I'd much rather be home in my studio working on a new guitar piece than spending 12 hours on a local indie shoot with bad actors and an ill conceived script.

Not saying you fit that description AT ALL. Just passing on what happens here.

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]