FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need sound advice for my first HD project please!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Whitaker
Need sound advice for my first HD project please!
on Oct 11, 2009 at 9:01:10 am

Hey everyone,

So this project will be a promotional video for a local college, lots of shooting, in terms of audio probably lots of interviews, classroom situations, walking and talking shots, etc. Its also important to know that I will likely be solo shooting this most of the time, although i could call on some friends to hold the mics or monitor levels for harder days.

The audio equipment i currently have:
The Azden SGM-PDII short shotgun that came with my HMC150 from B&H
Azden | SGM-PDII On-Camera Short Shotgun Microphone | SGM-PDII

A H4N zoom recorder. and the on board mic's of the HMC150.

Seems to me that some wireless lavs would work best to round out my beginners package. But since i will be filming around a college perhaps this may not be a great idea as there could be a lot of interference? I really know nothing about wireless sound, or maybe i want wired lavs? If someone could run me through the key elements and options i should look into when checking out wireless or wired lavs that would be great. Or perhaps there is something even better?

I have very limited experience in sound, so please feel free to explain things as if speaking to a total beginner. Thanks!

- Shawn

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: Need sound advice for my first HD project please!
on Oct 11, 2009 at 2:49:46 pm

[Shawn Whiting] "lots of interviews, classroom situations, walking and talking shots, etc."

[Shawn Whiting] "I will likely be solo shooting this most of the time"

[Shawn Whiting] "I have very limited experience in sound"

Wear headphones 100% of the time and if the audio does not sound "right" at any point.
stop shooting and fix it.

Your best bet is to find and hire an experienced audio operator for the job.

Anything less may likely yield anything from "poor audio" to "unusable audio."

Return to posts index

Sean Whitaker
on Oct 11, 2009 at 7:26:23 pm

Yeah that would be ideal, but i dont have the money to hire anyone else. Ive shot many films and videos before and had a sound team or run sound, but im still a bit shaky on what types of microphones are best in what situations. If anyone could lay that out for me it would be very helpful.

Also still need to figure out some sort of solution to my problem, i think i may just have to compromise the walk and talk for a wired lav and just have the person stand in front of their lab rather than walk us through it.

let me know what you think. Thanks!

- Shawn

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 11, 2009 at 9:24:47 pm

Don't rule out the wireless. See if you can borrow one and try it at different locations to see if you have interference. You can always carry a cabled mic as backup. You mentioned a Zoom recorder. If you ever intend to use that as your primary recorder, be sure to test your workflow to ensure you can reliably sync that audio to your video.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]