FORUMS: list search recent posts

5.1 Audio Acquistion

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Gish
5.1 Audio Acquistion
on Oct 10, 2009 at 9:33:25 pm

Can anyone point me to any articles or have any advice for acquiring 5.1 audio in a concert environment? I've looked at several of the 5.1 audio recorders but I'm not sure if they're worth a darn... Or if just using a few well placed condensers would be a better option. If so - what's the best way to position them?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Jeff Mack
Re: 5.1 Audio Acquistion
on Oct 11, 2009 at 5:06:02 pm

Hey Shaun,

I have produced several concerts that were recorded and sent to DVD with 5.1.

Don't think necessarily of recording to 5.1 but rather use additional crowd mics in strategic places to capture the atmosphere that you would want to have mixed into the concert to achieve the atmosphere that you are looking for. I would suggest talking with a studio engineer that will be mixing for 5.1. You know they don't just mix 6 channels. They pan 20-30 channels and ad reverb to the surrounds and balance the whole project. To do it right with additional mics is not much more ewxpensive and can achieve a much nicer finished project than simply taking board feeds and trying to "create" a surround atmosphere. Also, supply your mixer and masterer a quicktime file of the show for reference.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: 5.1 Audio Acquistion
on Oct 12, 2009 at 1:00:58 pm

Ditto the last post.
Talk to your mixer and give him what he wants. he will have opinions. If he hasnt, get a new mixer.
Also be clear he wants a quicktime file for reference, not a quicktime reference file.
Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]