FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shockmount for XHA1?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Than Baardson
Shockmount for XHA1?
on Oct 7, 2009 at 2:58:16 am

Hey everyone,
Is there a way to attach a shockmount to the XHA1's external mic terminal?
The hotshoe is reserved for my on-cam light and I'd rather not use the terminal directly with my NTG-1. Thanks,
-Than

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Shockmount for XHA1?
on Oct 8, 2009 at 7:36:57 am

See next post...

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Oct 8, 2009 at 7:42:36 am

Well, the XHA1's page shows a shockmount attached to the carry handle.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Than Baardson
on Oct 8, 2009 at 4:46:59 pm

Very true, I was wondering about after-market shockmounts. I've heard the stock one still transfers noise.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Oct 9, 2009 at 6:24:30 am

If you are concerned about handling noise transferring to the mic from camera usage, you should hire a boom op/sound mixer. A shockmount will only alleviate the symptom (handling noise) whereas the actual problem is that the mic is still more-than-likely too far away from the source to truly be useful.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Robert Kennedy
on Oct 9, 2009 at 7:14:48 pm

If you would like you can split the shock-mount to allow it to hold both your light and microphone.
Here is a photo: http://images.buzzillions.com/images_products/00/41/cool-lux-md-3000-light-...
Paired with a Rode SM-3 and a decent shortie XLR and you have a mic mounted on camera. The profile is rather high so don't plan on running through the jungle with it or staying inconspicuous.
If you want to mount the microphone with a lower profile, we have had some success on JVC cameras replacing the noisy, inferior included shockmount with the top part of a rycote pistol grip setup. A little hardware skills and ingenuity will help you mount it with the rubber down.
Here is a photo:
http://coffeysound.com/product.php?productid=422&cat=0&page=2

Of course I agree that this is no replacement for a skilled audio professional controlling mic placement.

Thanks,
Robert
CoffeySound.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]