FORUMS: list search recent posts

Telephone voice recording conundrum

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karel Juhl
Telephone voice recording conundrum
on Oct 1, 2009 at 7:35:24 pm

I am a freelance writer and for years used a Panasonic Auto-Logic phone/answering machine (KX-T2720) to record interviews to micro-cassette, which I then transcribe using a Craig system (model J585). Both are ancient, but they do the job. The problem comes with my new Vonage phone. Here are the particulars:

1. I work on an iMac, OS X 10.5.8. iLife is loaded, as are Word for Mac and Adobe CS4 design premium.
2. The phone I use is the Vtech 5849
3. The Vtech base is connected to the Vonage "black box" V-portal phone adapter, which is connected to the cable modem. I use one of the two handsets (not the base) for my main office phone, plugged into an electrical outlet, because the cable modem is two floors down from my home office.
4. The Panasonic is hooked up through a phone jack in my office, but that's the home number, not the office number. (This works fine for recording if I originate the call using my home phone, but not if I receive a call on my office number that I want to record.)
5. I need to be able to save the recorded calls for at least a few years.
6. I need to be able to transcribe the recorded calls (which, if you've never done it, requires a lot of tedious stopping and rewinding and is almost impossible without a transcription machine).
7. I DO have a cable outlet in my office that would be a logistical nightmare to use with our current office/home configurations, but it is an option if all else fails.
8. I do have a handheld Sony micro-cassette recorder (BM-577) and a Sony condenser mic (ECM-R100).
9. The computer that's hooked up to the cable modem is my husband's, an old PC that doesn't have built-in wireless (or much of anything else). We're going to buy a new one, just need to wait a little while.

So, here's the question: Do you know of a recording system that would work for me with my Vonage phone service so I can record to micro-cassette tape (rather than digitally)?

Sorry for the long question but I've learned to give you as much information as I can. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer, or suggestions for other places to look for help.

Karel Juhl

Karel Juhl Writing & Editing
http://kareljuhl.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Telephone voice recording conundrum
on Oct 1, 2009 at 10:00:18 pm

I'd call the folks at JK Audio. They have many devices designed to record phone calls. They'd be able to hook you up with one that works with your phone. For example, there are models that get their signal from a regular phone line from the wall to your phone, and others that hook up using the handset cord. There are lots of way to skin that cat. Here's their website http://www.jkaudio.com/contact_us.htm

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.5, Comp 3.0.5, DVDSP 4.2.1, Color 1.0.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Karel Juhl
on Oct 5, 2009 at 11:37:31 pm

Thanks, John and Jordan. I'm off to JK Audio -- thanks for the link and the advice.
Karel

Return to posts index

Karel Juhl
on Oct 6, 2009 at 8:34:22 pm

Thanks once again. Found exactly what I needed from JK Audio and I really thought it was an impossible dream. Gave Creative Cow a shout-out on Twitter, plus an additional plug (and the JK Audio solution info) at LinkedIn.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Oct 5, 2009 at 3:43:33 am

I would absolutely recommend JK Audio. They have a fantastic assortment of useful telco interfaces. It would also be useful for telephone recordings for effect, instead of hacking the EQ to get the desired sound.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]