FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cheap Microphone for Voice Over / Movie Trailer Voice

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Frank
Cheap Microphone for Voice Over / Movie Trailer Voice
on Oct 1, 2009 at 4:52:02 pm

Hey, I'm trying to find a cheap microphone for doing Voice Overs / Voice acting for animated characters / Deep Bassy movie trailer voice

This isn't meant for professional use but I'd like to get it as close as possible, this is just a fun side project I'd like to do. So I'm trying to find a good mic around 50-100$ and preferably a USB / Computer mic. So far I've seen these two from researching

AT2020USB microphone 130$

and MXL 990 Condenser Microphone 70$ + 50$ amp / mixer which I have no knowledge of

These are probably ideal choices for me but are also pushing my budget, so if any of you have anything else cheaper in mind please recommend to me, I'm mostly trying to get a deeper / richer vocal sounding, my current 5$ computer mic is horrible for recording although I can archive a pretty deep vocal, do you suppose with a more expensive one I could archive an even deeper vocal? Or do mics not matter for that part of the recording, I mean the part where how high/low your voice can go.

Anyway thanks for reading this, hope you can help me out!

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
Re: Cheap Microphone for Voice Over / Movie Trailer Voice
on Oct 1, 2009 at 4:57:06 pm

There is no such thing as "good" and "cheap". The AT2020 and the Blue Snowball are serviceable USB mics in the $100 - $150 range.

The deep bass voice is the voice, not the mic, plus the great mic technique of the owner of the voice.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 1, 2009 at 10:19:25 pm

Hello John and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Bob is 101% right on both counts.

If you want to hear an AT2020USB, I have samples on my web site. Help yourself.
http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Public/AT2020USB?view=web

A good mic for the money.

I just did a VO for a trailer, BTW, It's here.http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Public/HotFlashMovie.mp4

$3000 microphone, $2000 mic preamp, $1400 A/D converter, $1200 Pro Tools LE system.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

John Frank
on Oct 2, 2009 at 9:16:27 am

Thanks for those samples Ty Ford! I found the AT2020USB for about 110$ at amazon, I may even be able to get a discount to 80$ if I'm lucky so I think I'll definitely be getting this one.

One question about recording environment though. In your samples all I could hear was your voice straight on (like radio talk shows), there was no reverb or echo. On my current microphone, when I record it sounds as if I'm in a hall, my rooms 14 by 14 or so feet, and I usually have my door shut. It might be just because it's an omnidirectional mic but I'm not sure. How was your recording area set up?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 2, 2009 at 12:30:52 pm

Hello John,

Thanks for noticing and thanks for the compliment. :)

It was recorded in my studio here in Baltimore. As you so keenly observed, environment is VERY important. I don't know what mic you used, but, yes, omnis do hear more of the room.

I was about 6-8 inches from the mic, maybe that'll help. Past that, we get into a discussion of acoustics that may end some time in the next millennia. The short of it is that a good space has a mixture of absorptive and diffusive surfaces to keep the sound from slapping around before it gets into the mic.

How's that?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]