FORUMS: list search recent posts

ZOOM H4N - SD Card Recommendations

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeff gillmore
ZOOM H4N - SD Card Recommendations
on Sep 22, 2009 at 5:44:47 pm

just purchased a ZOOM H4N to replace my now dead DAT field recorder (boohoo, sniff). i would like to hear from other H4N users about the right SD Card to work with this unit. i've heard that some are more dependable and/or are faster for transfers. is any of this true? what cards are people using? what feedback or advice can you offer to guide me to a good SD card purchase.

i did call the tech rep for zoom and he referred me to the maker's website for their "approved" SD card list. he also mentioned that the list was very out of date.

in terms of capacity i will probably go with a couple of 8Gig cards for now.

thanks so much.

jeff

Return to posts index

Eric Cohen
Re: ZOOM H4N - SD Card Recommendations
on Oct 26, 2009 at 7:08:54 pm

I too am a new user of the 4hn and I am interested in what others are using for 8GB storage?

Return to posts index

jeff gillmore
on Oct 27, 2009 at 6:50:30 am

ok eric let me save you some time. i've tried several and this is what i have found works;

- do not use a #2 rated card...... it will have a 2 with a circle around it.
- use a #4 rated card..... 4 w circle around it.
- i have found the kingston SD HC (high capacity) 8 gig card to be very very reliable..... and that has not been the case with other brands.
- look for the kingston 8 gig card that comes with a lifetime warranty.... that is exactly what i am using and now have a couple of them. they sometimes cost a few dollars more but are well worth it.

Return to posts index

Eric Cohen
on Oct 27, 2009 at 7:54:24 pm

Jeff,

Thanks a million! This is super information. I will head over to Fry's today and get one. 8GB "4" with a lifetime warranty.

Return to posts index

jeff gillmore
on Oct 28, 2009 at 12:27:19 am

hi eric. not sure where you are but i just bought the exact card at "blacks" (photo chain) for only $40 canadian. that's about $30 less than i have seen it anywhere.
here is the weblink for the related product and supplier;

http://www.blackphoto.com/blacks/jump/product/7663/Kingston+8GB+SDHC/cat400...

looks like it is only $30US now.

there you have it.

jeff

Return to posts index

Peter Langerak
on Dec 21, 2010 at 1:48:16 am

When I use the 4track mode with 48khz/24bits settings (mic/line combined) on the Zoom H4N I have data write errors with the Kingston SD4/16gb (SDHC type). Although it is on the “SD card approved list” I am unable to store my recorded data correctly: I get gaps and soundleaps. Cleaning contacts of the card did not help. The card was correctly formatted in the H4N as well.
When I record with 48khz/16bits settings I’ll no problems.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]