FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser G2 problems staying on

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Smith
Sennheiser G2 problems staying on
on Sep 17, 2009 at 4:48:00 pm

Has anyone had any issues with the Sennheiser ew100 G2 Receiver staying powered on? We had a live shoot at the Constitution Center today in Philly and the receiver would not stay powered on. It was very "finicky" sometimes staying on for several minutes then turning off, or turning off and on very quickly while the green light stayed lit. We changed batteries, and made sure battery connections were good, and full capable power, but it was no help. I have done several searches but have not found anything. Of course now that we are back to the office everything seems to be fine.

Adam Smith

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
Re: Sennheiser G2 problems staying on
on Sep 17, 2009 at 5:33:31 pm

If the power light stayed on, it sounds like you were experiencing "drop outs." What happens is when the G2 detects that you are going to have static interference, instead of sending static noise to the camera, it disables the audio so there is no sound at all.

What you should do next time is scan the frequencies whenever you arrive at a new location. The G2 receiver will find an available frequency, and you can tune in the new frequency on the transmitter.

It sounds like the frequency that your system is currently set on works well at your studio, but the same frequency had some traffic at the location you worked in. This is why familiarizing yourself with scanning and making it a habit is important.

Does this sound like a possible solution, or did you scan at the location?

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Sep 18, 2009 at 1:15:18 pm

Actually to be clearer I wasn't able to keep the unit on to be able to tweak anything. Only the green light would stay lit during this time, then the interface would come up for maybe a second and then go out, and it kept doing this over and over. I tried to power off but that did not work. The only way I could power off was to take the batteries out. So the interface was not even accessible during this period. I have never seen anything like this before so it freaked me out. The batteries were not rechargeable ones, and I tried several different kinds. I am thinking Sennheiser needs to take a look?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 18, 2009 at 1:34:02 pm

Adam,

Yes, something's not right.

Regards,

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
scanning, and purchase questions
on Sep 28, 2009 at 7:22:06 pm

[Sam Mallery] "This is why familiarizing yourself with scanning and making it a habit is important."

Interesting point, and something I've never done. I simply turn the wireless on and check it. Are you saying that having the wireless receiver do the scanning will pick up a problem that my seat-of-the-pants practice does not?

I'm thinking of buying an additional wireless set (probably the Sennheiser G3), and have two questions:

Band A or Band B?
Small camera-mountable receiver or larger receiver? My application is mainly run-and-gun, which argues for the former, unless the larger receiver would be far superior.

Thanks!

Bob C

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: scanning, and purchase questions
on Sep 28, 2009 at 8:53:02 pm

[Bob Cole] "Interesting point, and something I've never done. I simply turn the wireless on and check it. Are you saying that having the wireless receiver do the scanning will pick up a problem that my seat-of-the-pants practice does not?

I'm thinking of buying an additional wireless set (probably the Sennheiser G3), and have two questions:

Band A or Band B?
Small camera-mountable receiver or larger receiver? My application is mainly run-and-gun, which argues for the former, unless the larger receiver would be far superior."

Hi Bob,

Scanning can help, but sometimes even scanning can't get you out of a jam. If you're in the same basic town, like Baltimore, I like A, 518-554MHz. The new G3 are a bit more narrow, but still A. That's what I have.

Camera/bag is fine. The larger receiver is not battery powerable.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 17, 2009 at 11:50:59 pm

Hello Adam and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

As Sam suggests, the green light remaining on means you weren't losing power. I'm guessing the receivers were being hit by some other signal, or perhaps you have an intermittent antenna problem.

Check to see if rechargeable batteries were used. That can cause problems with some systems when the batteries go below operating voltage. The unit loses power. Then they can be powered back up for short periods, after which they will drop power again.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Blake Morgan
on Jul 15, 2010 at 3:37:06 am

I am having a similar problem but for me every ten minutes or so it seems, the green light on the receiver goes out and I get static. By unplugging the audio cord the green light turns back on. I can plug it back in and have it work for about ten minutes then the same thing happens. What should I try?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]