FORUMS: list search recent posts

ecm-674 / ecm-673

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
ecm-674 / ecm-673
on Sep 14, 2009 at 4:43:45 am

ecm-674 / ecm-673 sony mikes

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId...

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId...

any good?

NAB rebate. limited choices.

Thanks

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: ecm-674 / ecm-673
on Sep 14, 2009 at 11:55:19 am

Hello Craig and welcome back to the Cow Audio Forum.

I don't know how long these have been out but I haven't heard either. I haven't heard anyone in the location audio community mention them. There, Sony doesn't pull much weight with their shotguns. Not sure why. I'm sure you'll see Sony mics on Sony cameras as part of a "comes with" deal, but that's a bit different.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 15, 2009 at 2:12:16 am

Thanks Ty,

I can't find a single review. Yet they are being sold at all the major audio suppliers.

I'm looking for things to use my NAB rebate on.

I do plan to order their PCM-D50 field recorder. It has gotten good reviews. Any thoughts?

Hopefully I can use it as audio for video and sync up the sound in post.

They also have their cordless system listed, but I never hear anyone recommending their lavs and wireless system over say Sennheiser G2 at around the same price point. Any feedback about UWPV1/4244 wireless kit?

Thanks

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 15, 2009 at 6:40:35 am

Well, the Sony WRR and WRT systems were staples in rental houses around here for decades. So they do have a fine track record for wireless at the moderate to top end.

And as to shotguns, it's also defensible to note that whatever else you feel about Sony - they have a long and honorable history of professional video and audio design. Their products might not always be the absolute top of the line, BUT I can't ever remember anything that came out of their professional divisions being sub-standard in any way.

I've used Sony 672's short shotguns off cameras for the occasional choir mic or similar when pressed and I've always gotten perfectly acceptable recordings.

So I wouldn't stress too much. If you see something that looks good - chances are it will serve you just fine.

My 2 cents anyway.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 15, 2009 at 12:00:56 pm

Their price point makes me think they are prosumer. That and I think I would have heard something had they been targeting the pro sales channel.

Hopefully? A D50 is a lot to spend on "hopefully." I'd ant to try before I bought one to make sure when I imported the audio that it would work on the timeline in sync situations.

The UWPV1/4244 wireless kit looks interesting, but I haven't heard a peep about it. Part of the problem is that Sony is so big that their audio stuff sometimes gets eclipsed. The pro audio stuff can also be a bit pricey. Years ago the price difference between a Mackie 1604 and the equivalent Sony mixer was pretty big. Rumor was that Sony dealers would use the mixer as a deal closer for a video sale, as in "buy the video editing suite and we'll toss in a mixer for free." Not a bad strategy, but it does marginalize the audio.

I still use Audio Technica U 100 wireless. They got used a lot, but were never considered as cool as Lectro, Audio Ltd, or Zaxcom. I've had the chance to compare them and the Audio Ltd was the only one that sounded better. So go for it and see what you can find out. Then please let us know.

BTW, you can hear the U 100 with Countryman B6 mics in this pre-vis.
http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Public/HotFlashMovie.mp4

When the kids come in to ask where mother is, Dad's wearing one.
Mom on the john.
Friend as they walk out of the front door'
Wife as she walks to the convertible
Mother as she walks past the bed.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]