FORUMS: list search recent posts

Used Mixer?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Livings
Used Mixer?
on Sep 9, 2009 at 9:09:13 pm

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a Used Digital Mixer (0V1, 02R, DM1000), Just wondering if I am making a mistake looking at "Used Digital Equipment"?

The older versions I am looking at have a max sample rate of 48KHz, which is OK for me.

I want to be able to record live with at least 16 Tracks.

Any thoughts?

John

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
Re: Used Mixer?
on Sep 9, 2009 at 9:47:53 pm

To throughly go through a used mixer and test every channel to make sure it's working properly takes time, experience, and familiarity with the model. Sometimes the person who is selling it may not be completely up to speed with the device, and may not be aware that it has a problem.

Sometimes buying used is a great way to go. It all depends. I bought a used pair of Technics 1200 vinyl turntables a few years ago. A few years after buying them I realized that the Anti-Skate feature on both turntables were broken. If I ever buy these again I will know how to test this out before I buy.

Sometimes mixers like these get treated like gold and not used very often. Other times they're treated well, but used constantly and toured around a lot. Sometimes, like in some theaters I've worked in, they get abused. It all depends.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 10, 2009 at 1:48:10 am

Hello John and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

What kinds of things do you expect to record?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

John Livings
on Sep 10, 2009 at 3:42:03 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your response.

Sam, I will probably be buying online, So I will have to make an agreement with the Seller to give me enough time to check it out, I also plan to take it to an Authorized Yamaha Service Center to check it out.

I agree there are so many features on a digital mixer, It will take me a while to learn them.

Ty, I want to record 16 mic's (10 Wireless and 6 Wired) From Theater Productions that I shoot Video and Record Audio, and then make into DVD's.

I would like 16 tracks for the mic's (Voice) and 2 tracks for the recorded Soundtrack.
I am mixing down all 18 tracks to a 2 Track Recorder now, I have no way to work on the individual tracks with my current setup. (Tape Out to a 2 track portable Recorder)

My Objective is to do the Live Sound and Record to my Laptop with the same piece of Equipment (Mixer).

My Audio setup is Very,Very Basic now and almost anything I do will be an improvement.

I will be sending the 18+ tracks to Logic Pro 9 for Editing and Mixing Down.

Thanks for any guidance you may have,

John

(I am using 2 mixers, A Behringer Europower PMH2000 which is being fed by a Behringer Eurorack Pro RX1202FX.

I use 6 corded and 2 cordless Mics going into the RX1202FX and coming out of the "Mains Out" and then going into the #9 Channel of the Main Mixer (the PMH2000).

The first 8 channels of the PMH2000 (1-8) are used for 8 wireless mics.

Channel #10 is used to input Music (Tape In) . It is also used as an output to my HD-P2 recorder, I also come off the HD-P2 with my headphones.

All 16 mics are used for vocals and dialogue (No live instruments) The 6 wired mics are locked down, and the 10 wireless are used by the lead Performers (Singing, Dancing, moving around a lot).

My question had to do with Running Sound and capturing Video and Audio to be Edited and made into a DVD

The Live Musical Performances take place in 500 seat Auditoriums (over flow crowds and lots of Noise)

My original question had to do with better monitoring of the separate mic channels, But now has evolved into thinking about upgrading some of my consumer gear to equipment with more features.

I try to rack everything I can, as we do 4 shows in one day and break everything down and load up in less than 1 hour. I like to be able to set up in less than 1 hour also.)

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Sep 10, 2009 at 4:38:01 am

For around the price of a used 01v96 on ebay you can get a new Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2 digital mixer. It comes with an 18 channel firewire interface built in. Presonus made it as easy as possible to get it up and running and recording:

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=52

Recording wise, it comes with a basic DAW called Capture that allows you to arm all of the tracks and begin recording with two mouse clicks. The idea with the included DAW was to make things happen fast. You can then easily export the recorded tracks to Logic for post work.

I've used the 01v96 for live theater, and it's kind of fun to jump around the different modes and have the motorized faders whipping around. The Studiolive doesn't have motorized faders, but, the overall layout seems a lot more intuitive to my brain than the Yamaha offerings. The Studiolive is worth a look. It's rack mountable too.

Return to posts index

John Livings
on Sep 10, 2009 at 6:49:25 am

Hi Sam,

I actually bought the Studio Live last month and returned it last week.

I am going to chalk the Issues I had with it up to Pilot Error. (It was my first Digital Board)

A Friend came over to help me get it up and running. (He has an 02R 96)

I have used his board (By Myself) for 6 shows, No Issues Period. I ran Mains, Monitors and recorded 16 tracks to my Laptop. (Logic Pro 9)

In the Studio Using the Studio Live I recorded using basically the same setup I use on Jobs, Except I used a Mac Pro Duel Quad Core And The Laptop to record to.

The First Issue was, for no apparent reason the sound (Mains and Monitors + Recording) would STOP!!
The Mixer was Frozen. To get any sound required shutting down the computer and Mixer then restarting Both. ( took About 2 1/2 minutes)

This Happened regardless of which software I used. (Capture or Logic Pro 9) using the Studio Live

Second Issue, During Recording the Playhead continues to move, However NOTHING is being Recorded.
This Has Happened with both computers and using both Capture and Logic Pro 9. Again NO reason. Please note; This can happen anytime or not at all.

When this happens you really don't want to try to fix it as you will loose your LIVE SOUND.

I really liked the mixer for live sound, But use the FW cable and watch out.

Many people have good results with the Mixer, Not Me.

Customer Service at Presonus is 5-Star all the way, However the board was not stable for me.

I need something that is close to "Plug and Play"

The board looks like a Masterpiece, And they pack it like a Mac.

Also the reason I am looking for a used board is the 01V needs interface cards to connect to your computer. and no Meter Bridge and the old ones can be had for $500.00 (48KHz)

ebay just sold a DM 1000 with Meter Bridge and 4 cards for $3400.00, fits a 19" rack , in very good condition that would be a deal. The 01V does not have a meter bridge option.

Capture is not a DAW, It will just capture the tracks in a WAV format that you can drag and drop into your DAW. Presonus is coming out with a Daw called "Studio One"

anyway sorry for the long post,

John

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 10, 2009 at 9:05:28 am

John,

Do you absolutely need a digital mixer?

If not a Allen and Heath Mixwizard may suffice.

For multitrack recording, how about BoomRecorder on a Mac?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Sep 10, 2009 at 3:21:15 pm

Yikes. I hadn't heard about any issues with the StudioLive yet. Live theater is no place for beta testing a new digital mixer. You're right. Go with a Yamaha. See if you can get your buddy to give you a hand testing out the used one once it arrives. Sitting in front of a 01v96 totally green with the manual is a bit of a daunting experience.

Return to posts index

John Livings
on Sep 10, 2009 at 7:22:06 pm

Hi Ty,

I have considered many options including Analog Boards. The main reason I gravitated to a Digital Board was I do not own any real outboard gear and with the Mixers I have listed I really wouldn't really need any.

Daw controller

Mic Pre-Amps

EQs

An Interface

Compressor

And many more that would fine for me.

Being able to rack the mixer and leave everything hooked up, cut's down on my setup/breakdown time

The Total cost seems to be Much Less with a good Digital mixer, Especially if I can get a good used unit.

So the bottom line is Total Cost, Minimum rack space, Features, And #1=Reliability.

Am I going in the right Direction?

Hi Sam,

I was a little surprised also, Maybe Studio live 2 ?

http://forums.presonus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]