FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lost Audio On DV Tape?!?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandt Bolding
Lost Audio On DV Tape?!?
on Sep 4, 2009 at 3:44:59 pm

I had captured some footage from Panny AY-DVm63PQ tape successfully (vid/aud)...but decided I wanted to go back and capture some more. When started playback there was no audio signal (no signal on LCD's "meters" either). I tried it in another Panasonic camcorder and the same happened. I decided to try and record on end of that tape and vid AND aud was recorded...and played it back and got audio?!? I've used thousands of these tapes never a problem like this. This tape is part of a documentary - and the material on the tape is very important. I need some advice here quickly...I'm in a huge huge bind here. Thanks to all.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Lost Audio On DV Tape?!?
on Sep 5, 2009 at 10:32:26 am

Hello Brandt and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Not working on one part of the tape, working on another...hmmm.

I'm going to give you a WAG. Maybe the tape got twisted so the back of it is on the heads during the part you want. Does the tape play if you rewind to the very beginning? Maybe there are parts that aren't twisted (If indeed the problem IS twisted tape.)

I'm not sure what your solution may be. In the old days, I was able to take DAT and VHS tape cassettes apart and fix the tape, reattach it to the hub, etc. I haven't tried that with a mini-DV tape cassette. I don't even know if you can take one apart and get it back together. DAT and VHS carts have screws that hold the halves together. You might try taking apart a tape you can spare to see if it can be done.

Sorry for your pain.

Please let us know how that works out.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
on Sep 6, 2009 at 9:58:40 pm

Did you actually record the audio on CH. 3 and CH. 4?

That would be very possible and easy if you shot on a Canon XL-1 or 2.
Also possible on other camcorders, but not quite as easy.)

As a clue to this, the audio mode would be showing as 32k, if that's what you did.
(If audio is showing as 48k, CH. 3 and CH. 4 recording/playback is not possible.)

You can set your capture to CH. 3 and CH. 4 and see if that's what happened.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Sep 7, 2009 at 6:34:06 am

Do you have the camera that it was recorded on? Try that first. If it was originally recorded on a camera and now you're playing in something else, you could have a compatibility issue. That's a major problem between formats and manufacturers. Nothing works.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]