FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I play DVD with 4 audio channels?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kazuma Yoshimoto
Can I play DVD with 4 audio channels?
on Aug 26, 2009 at 11:45:58 am

Hello,

I'd like to ask if it's possible to play DVD using 4 audio channels? Can I do this with just a standard DVD player or do I need a specific one? What leads etc. would I need? Could someone go more into details about it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
KY

Return to posts index

Kazuma Yoshimoto
Re: Can I play DVD with 4 audio channels?
on Aug 26, 2009 at 2:39:27 pm

Also, is it possible to convert/rewrite DigiBeta tape to lets say BetaCAM SP and still have good sound quality? Want I need is 4 audio channels. Does BetaCAM SP have 4 channs?

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Aug 26, 2009 at 5:10:00 pm

[Kazuma Yoshimoto] "Also, is it possible to convert/rewrite DigiBeta tape to lets say BetaCAM SP and still have good sound quality?"

Yes, but there will be some signal degradation in both video and audio as you are going to a lower resolution format. It is usually acceptable but not a preferred archival method as it once was. The best way is to use component video for your analog video connection and balanced audio.

[Kazuma Yoshimoto] "Does BetaCAM SP have 4 channs?"

Yes, but channels 3 and 4 can only be recorded with the video signal, as they are frequency modulated over the video carrier. In other words, you can only record those channels in crash or assemble recording. You can not insert them later. And I believe you might only be able to use those channels on pro recording BetaSP VTRs.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Aug 26, 2009 at 4:51:01 pm

[Kazuma Yoshimoto] "I'd like to ask if it's possible to play DVD using 4 audio channels?"

If the DVD has AC3 encoded audio track, this can contain from 1 to 5.1 channels of audio.

[Kazuma Yoshimoto] "Can I do this with just a standard DVD player or do I need a specific one?"

Every DVD video player can play the AC3 track. Not all can decode AC3 into analog audio. Most DVD players will spit out the AC3 stream via optical or coaxial stream.

[Kazuma Yoshimoto] "What leads etc. would I need?"

If you have a DVD player with AC3 decoder built in (also known as Dolby Digital decoder), it will have six separate analog outputs, usually on RCA jacks at the rear of the unit. These correspond to the channels of audio encoded on your DVD. Just connect a standard unbalanced RCA-ended audio cable to each channel and connect them to whatever destination you require.

If you have a DVD player with no AC3 decoder, it will have an optical or coaxial output. You will need an AC3 decoder (built in to most consumer "home theater" receivers) to play this signal.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]