FORUMS: list search recent posts

iphone sound

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Probyn
iphone sound
on Aug 26, 2009 at 11:22:43 am

Is iphone sound quality good enough for ambient sound ? for broadcast tv.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
Re: iphone sound
on Aug 26, 2009 at 9:45:32 pm

Not really. Could you carefully record something on an iPhone and have NBC broadcast it on the evening news? Yes, but it's not the way to go for good portable audio recording. Is the camera on the iPhone good enough for a professional photographer? Should that photographer sell their other cameras and only use the iPhone?

I would use a good portable recorder. Many people use the Zoom H2 because it's pretty decent, and it's also one of the cheapest options. I'm looking into buying an Edirol EDR09HR for myself.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Aug 26, 2009 at 10:54:43 pm

Ok thanks.

Yes I have the Olympus LS10... which is very good. I should have been more precise in my post,I meant as last resort,sudden need using the iphone just for ambient sound.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 29, 2009 at 1:25:12 am

Robin,

ALL telephones are primarily designed to be efficient at picking up the frequencies of a human voice at VERY CLOSE RANGE. This make sense when you understand how they're commonly used.

So there's no reason to make the microphones particularly sensitive or (and this is most critical in the area of recording ambient sound with them) to build in high-quality low-noise circuitry into them such that they achieve a robust signal to noise ratio in typical recording.

They're designed to be PHONES. Not field recording devices.

That's the bottom line.

Sorry.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Aug 30, 2009 at 4:07:45 am

Hi Bill

Yes all understood,and I guess wind noise would be the killer for anything outside.. more as a that or nothing type situation..

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Aug 29, 2009 at 5:13:59 am

This is kind of cute...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]