FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound Forge cursor position

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Hunter
Sound Forge cursor position
on Aug 25, 2009 at 10:25:23 pm

Currently when I press the stop button to stop a recording, the cursor moves to the beginning of the region I just recorded. If I don't push the "end" button before I begin recording again I would erase everthing I just had recorded. Is there a way to set it so that if I hit stop, the cursor will position itself at the end of the region where I have left off?

Will

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Sound Forge cursor position
on Aug 26, 2009 at 12:45:11 pm

Hello Will,

I don't use Sound Forge, but it sounds like you're in a cue stacking or loop record mode. This mode lets you stack tracks on the timeline or record over and over (so you can get the part right).

I'm guessing there's a preference of other menu or button to change the operation mode.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Will Hunter
Re: Sound Forge cursor position
on Aug 26, 2009 at 2:28:37 pm

Hi Ty,
No luck. What you are describing makes perfect sense but I can't find Cue Stacking or Loop Record Mode settings anywhere. Thanks for the suggestion though. Maybe someone out there using Sound Forge can help me.

Will

Return to posts index

Will Hunter
Re: Sound Forge cursor position STILL NEED HELP!
on Aug 27, 2009 at 4:05:16 pm

Does anyone using Sound Forge have any ideas on this?

Will

Return to posts index

Jesse Ruggles
on Aug 28, 2009 at 7:20:13 pm

Which recording mode are you using? Also, which version of Sound Forge are you using?
I don't recall the modes in the older versions, but in 9.0 you have "Automatic retake (automatically rewind)" "Multiple takes creating Regions" "Multiple takes (no Regions)" "Create a new window for each take" and "Punch-in (record a specific length)" for recording modes. I would suspect you may have the mode set to "Automatic retake (automatically rewind)" as this would rewind the cursor to the the start position after each take. If you want to record takes continuously (one after an other without overwriting previous takes) I would suggest you set the record mode to "Multiple takes creating Regions." This way each take will be designated by markers and could well save some time when it comes to the editing process.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 28, 2009 at 7:36:44 pm

Will, what do they say on the Sound Forge online forum?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Will Hunter
on Aug 28, 2009 at 8:27:52 pm

Hi Ty,
I have submitted my question to techical support but have not heard back.

Will

Return to posts index

Will Hunter
on Aug 28, 2009 at 8:26:23 pm

Hi Jesse,
I am using Sound Forge 9.0e
I have it set in Multiple Takes Multiple Regions mode but it is behaving like i am in the Automatic Retake Automatic Rewind mode.

will

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 30, 2009 at 12:07:43 pm

The following is not in the manual?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Choosing a recording mode

You can choose any of five recording modes in the Record dialog's Mode drop-down list. Sound Forge recording modes include the following:

Automatic retake (automatically rewind)
Multiple takes
Punch-In (record a specific length)

Automatic retake (automatically rewind)

Automatic retake mode is the easiest method of recording. Recording begins at the position displayed in the Start box when you click the Record button () and continues until you click the Stop button

(). When you stop recording, the start position resets to the beginning of the take, allowing for immediate rewind and retake.

Multiple takes

Multiple takes mode also allows several takes to be recorded. Like the previous mode, recording starts at the position displayed in the Start box when you click the Record button () and continues until you click the Stop button (). When you stop recording, the stop position becomes the start position for the next take, which can be recorded immediately.

Punch-In (record a specific length)

Punch-In mode is used to record over a specific selection in an existing data window. Specifying Punch-In activates the Start, End, and Length boxes. Recording begins at the position displayed in eh Start box when you click the Record button () and continues until one of the following occurs:

You click the Stop button ().
The cursor in the data window reaches the position displayed in the End box.
The length of the recorded data equals the value in the Length box.

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Will Hunter
on Aug 31, 2009 at 1:26:10 pm

Ty,
I am thinking there must be a corrupt file, because even though it is set to Multiple Takes Mode, it's still behaving as if's in Automatic Retake Mode. This only started happening once i upgraded to 9.0e

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 31, 2009 at 1:43:43 pm

Will,

Sounds very possible. I'm sorry for your pain.

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

Will Hunter
on Sep 1, 2009 at 3:27:40 pm

Hi Ty,
Just an FYI, The response I got from the Sony Support was that the software was designed to place the cursor at the beginning of the session when you go back to record again. This makes no sense to me.
The only way you can save a file (save early save often) is to close the record dialog. But if you reopen the record dialog the cursor will be at the beginning of what you just recorded. I'm curious if other Sound Forge users have the same issue.

Here is the message from Sony Support:

When recording in Multiple takes creating regions mode, I find that the software behaves as expected. Recording successive takes of data and creates a region to identify each take. A new region will be defined every time you click the Stop button. However, I do show that if you stop the recording and exit out of the recording dialogue that the cursor will be present at the beginning of your recorded files. If you should choose to open the recording dialogue again and attempt to record, you will over write your previously recorded data. This would be expected.

The function of Multiple takes creating regions mode is to continue to create new regions whenever the stop button is pressed during your current recording session. By that, I mean that you do not close the recording dialogue window. When that window is closed, Sound Forge will proceed to be ready to edit the files, if you open the recording dialogue again then Sound Forge is waiting to record in that same mode again, but will start recording where ever the cursor is placed.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 1, 2009 at 5:48:12 pm

Will,

Thanks for the detailed response. I guess that's why I like Pro Tools LE.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]