FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro tools surround question

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
César Guerra
Pro tools surround question
on Aug 23, 2009 at 12:15:09 am

Hello i am a student of acoustical engineering at the Universidad Austral de Chile in south america. Im doing my thesis about 5.1 surround mixing and Dolby Digital AC-3 encoding. The Institute of Acoustics at my university utilizes digi002R hardware and Pro Tools LE 7.0 software but this software it does not have the surround tools.
I have been seen the digidesign web page and download a pdf about Pro tools 8, and it say that has the surround tools. But then i realise that there are three types of this software: HD, LE and M-powered. Having a digi002R i must to use the pro tools LE 8, but i dont know if the software (LE) have the surround features. My question is:

Can i work whit surround whit Protools LE 8 and digioo2R, or M-powered ?
or the surround features are only available for HD hardware an software ?

i hope you can understand me.
Adios y muchas gracias (good bye and thanks in advance...je je je)

César Guerra
Chile - South America .

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Pro tools surround question
on Aug 23, 2009 at 12:41:21 pm

Hola Cesar and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

I have an 002R and an 003R. The main outputs, as you have probably found are only stereo. The difficulty with using an 002, 002R, 003 or 003R is that you must use the individual track outputs to make the surround.

Perhaps not impossible, but inelegant.

For specific tips and tricks, try the Digidesign Users Conference on the Digi site.

Your english, btw, is above average even for people in the US, and incredibly better than my spanish.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

JC Boulay
on Aug 25, 2009 at 4:20:17 pm

Hi César,

Pro Tools LE is not made for surround. All the features for surround are in Pro Tools HD, where it is very easy. There are ways of doing surround in LE, but it's a little more complicated. Here is a short article from EQ Mag on how to do it: http://www.eqmag.com/article/digidesign-pro-tools/Apr-04/2020
This would work in PTLE 7. No need to upgrade.

This method makes panning a little difficult at first, but you'll get more comfortable with practice. This is only a workaround. If you want all the very good Pro Tools surround features, you need a PTHD system.

Good luck on the thesis.

JC Boulay
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

César Guerra
on Aug 25, 2009 at 10:19:58 pm

Thank you very much for your answers Mr. Ford and Mr. Boulay.
Have been very helpful.

César Guerra.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]