FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio recording, Require help please.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Megha Aly
Audio recording, Require help please.
on Aug 22, 2009 at 8:20:03 pm

Hello,
Recently I've been searching around for a well enough camcorder with a good audio recording. You see I have a band and I was wondering If there was anything I could find that would be suitable for occasional and unproffesional recording w/o the usage of studio mixers and such. When I looked onto the subject, I was led to the conclusion that most built in mics of a camcorder would not handle the material required to record.. and so I've started to search for a well enough camcorder (vid hiquality not necessary) but that has a mic input.. and not that expensive If possible. This really isn't my kind of thing at all and I dont have much time to dwell into it, so If there are any recommendations from anyone.. please do so.

Thank You.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Audio recording, Require help please.
on Aug 23, 2009 at 1:04:36 pm

Hello Megha and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You don't tell us much about your band, but the louder the music, the more difficult the ability to record it well with a built in mic. Most of these mics are not engineered to withstand loud sounds. When they do, they distort and can't be turned down far enough not to distort.

Recording bands properly is trickier than most people imagine. Even good mics mounted on a camera don't do the job very well, especially if the band has singers. The sound of a singer's voice through a PA system is very inferior to the sound of the same voice recorded directly from the board. The person mixing the live event is blending certain sounds from the mix with the sounds from amps and instruments on stage to get the total sound.

To get good live music event recordings, you need each source on a separate track and mics to record the room (or space) as well, in order to recreate the live event properly during a mixdown later.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Fernando Mol
Re: Audio recording, Require help please.
on Aug 27, 2009 at 4:32:44 am

A solution can be to have wireless mic close to a monitor with the mixed sound. For a live indoor performance a guerrilla trick is to point a mic to one of the top corners of the room.

Of course, nothing will be more professional than a separated mixed record, but if you don't have one you can try one of this techniques.

There are some nice handy cams that record 5.1, but as Ty say, they're no good for loud sounds.

I hope this help.

*Remember to share a link to your site and to rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]