FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi-channel AES/EBU to consumer digital surround converter?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco Solorio
Multi-channel AES/EBU to consumer digital surround converter?
on Aug 19, 2009 at 1:11:26 am

Hi all,

I've been Googling around to see if there's a converter for this, but no luck. I'm hoping someone might know of a black box that will do the trick. I basically want to input four pairs of AES/EBU digital audio (multi-channel as 5.1 or 7.1) and convert it to consumer digital audio (fiber or coax) as a single 5.1 or 7.1 stream. This is purely for monitoring, so nothing too crazy is required.

Input: 8 channels (4 pairs) of 110Ω AES/EBU XLR or 75Ω BNC
Output: Single consumer Fiber Optic TOSLINK or Caoxial S/PDIF 5.1/7.1 surround stream.

Am I dreaming?

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | Codec Resource Site | Cinesoft | Media Batch

Return to posts index

JC Boulay
Re: Multi-channel AES/EBU to consumer digital surround converter?
on Aug 20, 2009 at 3:34:11 pm

I don't know of any device that would do what you want in the direction you want. TOSLink-to-AES is more common in QA products. If anyone could get you a definitive answer for that, it would probably be a Dolby pro audio rep. It's right up their alley, though the Dolby devices I know don't have the consumer optical output. Chances are such a device would pretty darn pricey, too. It can't hurt to try, as I've always had great experiences with Dolby pro audio reps.

You can find the closest Dolby offices here: http://www.dolby.com/about/contact_us/locations-english.html

If I had to mount such a system, it would probably imply a dedicated computer, some Dolby encoding software and two audio interfaces. Not to mention a few headaches and late nights. I haven't done the research to confirm it would even work, though.

Good hunting, Marco!

JC Boulay
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:16:21 pm

Thanks for the reply, JC. But if I had to use a Dolby transcoder device for this, my fear is that the cost of such a device of theirs would cost more than my ProTools HD system! :-O

Thanks again.

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | Codec Resource Site | Cinesoft | Media Batch

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Sep 30, 2009 at 8:57:16 pm

Not dreaming at all. Try this http://www.aja.com/products/converters/converters-hd-ada4.php

I use these (two of em) to get my 5.1 audio out of my MBPro and final cut pro into my home theater receiver. You also need 4 transformers like this http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/210_2044239418/NADITBNC-M_detail.aspx

Jeff

P.S. about $800 total

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:13:53 pm

Hi Jeff,

Many thanks for the reply. This looks very close to what I need. Funny thing too is that we're an "AJA facility" utilizing much of their hardware (Kona 3s, Ios, converters, et al) but I've never seen this converter of theirs before!

So how are you using two of them to sum to a single 5.1/7.1 feed/stream to your surround receiver?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:20:19 pm

Hi Marco,

I am a videographer and do a lot of concert videos. I get my audio mixed into discrete 5.1 channels and put them on my final cut pro timeline. I then map the output of the 6 channels on my timeline to my IOHD (AJA product) and output via AES/EBU since the IOHD only has 4 analog outputs. This way with 8 digital outs, I actually put the 5.1 files mapped to 5.1 outs and then an HD PCM stereo for the other two digital outs and then in Final cut pro I can mute the 5.1 and hear stereo or vica versa. You have to watch your pad on output though.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:26:11 pm

Hi Jeff,

Yup, I understand the discreet digital output part from FCP. We're outputting from a couple of Kona 3s (using the K3 breakout boxes) via its AES/EBU ports as separated channels.

What I don't understand is how you're then taking those individual digital outputs, inputting them into the two ADA4 boxes and summing to a single 5.1 or 7.1 digital output to then input into, say, a surround receiver with a single digital coax input.

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:57:50 pm

Ah,

Forgot to mention the converter comes with a d sub breakout cable. On the one end of the box you input the d sub connector. The other end of the d sub connector are 8 xlr connectors ( 4 in and 4 out) With two converters you get 8 in and 8 out. You plug the transformers onto the xlr and then the bnc for the aes into your interface (kona) or in my case the IOHD. So in your case, I believe the kona 3 comes with similar breakout cable. The xlr out should carry two channels. I do not know how to deal with that. Now I am getting confused.

My workflow is:

MBPro to IOHD. IOHD 4 digital AES outs to transformer. Transformer to xlr to d sub cable which takes two channels and splits into 4 outputs. Since I have two converters, I get 6 analog ouputs. I map outputs in final cut pro timeline to each aes output on IOHD. What comes out on other end are 8 discrete channel. My receiver has 8 discrete inputs (I use an xlr to RCA cable.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:18:30 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks again for the reply. I see what you're doing, and unfortunately this is different than the workflow I'm trying to do.

You're taking the individual digital outputs from the AJA device and converting them to individual analog outputs, then inputting them into your receiver as individual 5.1/7.1 analog inputs.

What I'm trying to do is take those individual digital output from the Kona3 and mux them into a single digital stream so that it can then be connected to a 5.1 or 7.1 digital coax input (like a surround receiver or any other device that accepts a single surround digital input). For example, the digital coax output on any DVD player is a single 5.1/7.1 digital stream. That's the kind of stream I'm trying to convert to from my Kona's digital outputs.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:31:54 pm

Marco,

I don't know any receiver with 1 aes input. Are you sure your stream would not be a dolby encoded signal or DTS? Either way, I don't know of an aes into a receiver. They have optical inthat can take 8 channels and hdmi

Sorry

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:45:49 pm

Jeff, you're correct that there aren't any receivers with a single AES input, which is not what I want to do. I want the single digital feed to be consumer coaxial S/PDIF (the same you'd find on any cheap $30 DVD player). Or TOSLink Fiber Optic. The key (and possibly the expensive part) is converting the uncompressed digital outputs of the Kona into such a single digital coax/fiber stream.

The "box" I need would have 8 individual (or 4 pair) digital inputs and one digital output (again, either coax or fiber optic, or both).

JC's post above is probably more in line with what I need as the stream would need to be transcoded in real-time. Something that's probably not cheap to do. =(

If worst comes to worst, I will in fact do an analog conversion into the analog surround direct inputs. Was hoping to stay digital throughout though.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Oct 1, 2009 at 4:59:48 pm

Marco,

I found this but is only caries stereo. I doubt your receiver will have 4 inputs.

Good luck. BTW, what you are sending is a live stream. I mean you can't send ac3 files?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Oct 1, 2009 at 8:36:47 pm

Hi Jeff,

The Kona 3's digital audio outputs are obviously uncompressed AES/EBU, but those discreet channels need to be muxed/converted in real-time to a single stream digital surround signal (e.g., AC3, DTS, etc.) as consumer coax or fiber optic; the same you'd get from any cheap DVD player.

It's the real-time transcoding portion of it that makes me think such a box would be very expensive. I may have to just go the DAC route and feed individual analog ins.

Return to posts index

Matthew Simmons
on Oct 27, 2010 at 10:24:28 pm

Hi we make an 8 channel AES/EBU to HDMI Audio converter exactly what you need - We developed it for just this purpose

contact me to discuss

M.

Return to posts index

Yeewei Chai
on Oct 29, 2012 at 2:31:26 pm

Hello I would like to find out about this multichannel aes to consumer surround device you are talking about,

Please email me any details at ywchai@gmail.com please thanks!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Robins
on Jul 2, 2013 at 10:25:41 pm

I know this thread is old but it came up often in my internet searches so I wanted to post my solution. I ended up purchasing the Arvus AES-2H. It sounds great and is the ideal unit for embedding 5.1/7.1 mixes from your pro interface to a preamp or receiver as a monitoring solution. This takes multiple channels of AES/EBU and embeds them as multiple channels of LPCM to be decoded by your pre/DAC of choice.

He's a link: http://www.aes-hdmi.com/aes-2h.html

I hope this helps anyone else looking for a similar solution.

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Jul 2, 2013 at 11:47:18 pm

Thanks Jeremy, this is a nice solution. I would have preferred either fiber optic or a coax transmission, but this might work and is the closest thing to a solution so far. I'd imagine that the HDMI signal could be extended from our machine room to the edit suite using a twisted pair extender solution. Not bad.

How much is this unit selling for? I can't find pricing information on it anywhere.

Thanks!

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | BMCC Newsletter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]