FORUMS: list search recent posts

What kind of microphone set up for Sony VX2100?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Kimball
What kind of microphone set up for Sony VX2100?
on Aug 14, 2009 at 5:59:44 pm

Okay I am completing a free-lance project on the Parrots of Australia. I shot 6 months worth of footage and now am editing it in Sony Vegas.

I have done 2 voice-over narrations of my first chunk of film.

1. I used the cam and simply recorded my voice with the cam's microphone on a tripod in the bedroom. The results were that it sounded like I was in a strange muffled closet and the results were very poor. Imagine Australian landscapes and you get this muffled in-the-closet type narration. Not very appealing!

2. I took the cam outside in a totally quiet wild place with no sounds whatsoever except a bit of breeze and my voice. Camera microphone about 10 inches from my mouth. The result: varying degrees with the results. Sometimes a bit muffled, other times a bit too harsh sounding but I feel it still doesnt sound like the clear crisp and smooth narration you get on nature videos.

I am real new at sound here so I would sure appreciate some imput especially from someone that knows the Sony VX-2100 mini DV cam personally and has set it up for quality sound/narration.

Thanks! Very much appreciate the help I get here!

Don Kimball

New to Vegas... excited and intimidated at the same time!

New to Vegas... excited and intimidated at the same time!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: What kind of microphone set up for Sony VX2100?
on Aug 15, 2009 at 6:35:26 am

Hello Don and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum version of "How'd They Do That."

That you can tell by your experiments that you're not getting what you want is a GOOD thing.

Technically-good narration is normally done in a studio with a proper acoustics, using a variety of mics and a right that costs a lot more than your camcorder. I do narration for a living (such as it is) My mics cost a couple thousand dollars each, my preamps cost over $1k each, my DA converter.....well you get the idea.

A quick look at your camera indicates it doesn't seem to have a separate mic or audio input. If that's the case, you're hosed.

Since you don't need to read to picture, and for not much money, get a Zoom or Iriver recorder and try recording a walk-in closet.

Don't under estimate your lack of performing talent. Professional narrators bring a lot more than a nice voice to a project. If you're interested, reach out with specifics and I'll send you a quote.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]