FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on new speakers for edit suites

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Andrews
Advice on new speakers for edit suites
on Aug 14, 2009 at 5:48:10 pm

I need some advice... We have 2 main video editing suites. Had some old JBL nearfields and the tweeters died. Apparently, you have to go to China to get replacements. What is going on with JBL? I guess it's been a long time since I had to look for studio speakers. We need 2 sets with an amp to put in our edit suites. A local store tells us the Bower and Wilkens 685's would do the job. I am asking my friends at the Cow..... who do this kind of kind of work to make recommendations for some decent speakers to last another 20 years. I hear the Radio Stations also use BW's,at least local . For good solid near field work that will not break the bank...What do you all recommend? Also I will need a recommendation on an AMP..unless what you recommend already comes powered.

David

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Advice on new speakers for edit suites
on Aug 15, 2009 at 6:20:49 am

Hello David and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

I was in radio a long time and never saw Bower and Wilkens in any stations. They are pretty pricey. If there's a radio station with them, they probably traded ads for them. Very exotic! Thse I know who own them like theirs.

Your budget and physical space will determine what you buy, At the top of my list right now are Event Opals at $3k a pair. I reviewed a pair here and found them stunning. They need some space due to their size but, wow!

Genelecs, Dynaudio, JBL, Myer, Adam and K&H are certainly contenders.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

David Andrews
on Aug 19, 2009 at 1:17:06 pm

Thank you for your advice..I would love to have that kind of quality. I believe the kind of work we do deserves that and considering we are now shooting in HD it would really compliment all of our work. We actually do a lot of documentary work and commercial broadcast projects for the University. With budgets in the basement and new administrators who think we should be in a cubical, because they have never been in a studio before, they may think I am nuts.... actually they might be right. I keep fighting for the right way ...not the easy way and since no one here has ever been in a real studio ....this fight will always continue.

Thanks so much..

David

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 19, 2009 at 1:23:16 pm

David,

Here are a few effective thought provokers.

1. Video without audio is surveillance.
2. If Hollywood COULD do it cheaper, they would.
3. There are more Home Theater systems every day. If you're cheaping out with your audio monitors, you won't be able to hear problems that will be VERY apparent to them.
4. Good audio monitors last a lot longer (and remain valid) a lot longer than video monitors.
5. The essence of great audio is that it doesn't draw any attention to itself. To do that, you need to pay a lot of attention in production and post production.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]