FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another rookie echo problem, I know...I'm sorry...

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
Another rookie echo problem, I know...I'm sorry...
on Aug 10, 2009 at 4:26:31 pm

Hello friends, as a visually minded person who often neglects audio I am new to this forum in efforts to change that. I have read a lot of posts and can see that my question is typical, yet I could still use some specific advice, here is my issue-

I am filming a doctor biweekly at his house for a series of online instructional videos. Just one long medium shot of the good doctor giving his lecture. I am filming in a great room with very high walls and a wood floor so the sound echos.

I'm using a Canon AH X1 to shoot and putting the on camera mic on a stand near the doctor. Now, yes...yes we do have a lav but I have been instructed not to use it because it looks "gawdy and distracting."

So here are my questions, A) would a lav help cut down the echos? And if so how can I make it invisible to the camera? (B) Would an elaborate set up of blankets around him help? I say elaborate because I can't block the background or my lights shooting on him.

Many thanks for your wisdom!

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: Another rookie echo problem, I know...I'm sorry...
on Aug 10, 2009 at 4:53:33 pm

Hanging pack blankets on stands just out of frame would help, but getting that mic in as close as possible needs to be done. Replace your cam mic with a supercardioid about 12-18" from the doc.

You can also mount the lav inside his jacket lust below his neck by making some footballs out of gaff tape, putting the mic between them, and then sticking that between the shirt and jacket. Hopefully he doesn't move around a lot to cause noise. How big is your lav? It's not obtrusive on a news anchor? Tuck the wire under the clip and it's barely noticeable.

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Aug 10, 2009 at 9:28:06 pm

Thanks Steve, We a Sure and a couple Sennheisers, A big guy and a little guy. The doc doesn't wear a jacket. Could I get the same effect by pinning it between the buttons on his collared shirt? Would that rub around too much? Thanks again

Return to posts index

John Moore
on Aug 10, 2009 at 11:00:55 pm

Here's a great rundown on how to hide a lav:
http://www.locationsound.com/proaudio/ls/tips/techtips8_4.html

John Moore
sound.flyingmonkeystudio.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Aug 11, 2009 at 3:54:33 pm

Excellent! That article is perfect for me, thanks John.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Aug 10, 2009 at 7:19:03 pm

Whoever thinks the lav looks "gawdy and distracting" should turn on network television for about 3 minutes. They'll likely see several lav mics on several people in that time span. Hiding the lav is possible, but you should practice first, and be mindful of the noise lavs make when they rub against clothing/material.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]