FORUMS: list search recent posts

Body Pack

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dannunzio
Body Pack
on Aug 7, 2009 at 1:43:14 pm

Hello,

I am looking for a Lav. wireless mic system for my video camera.
Is there a particular vendor that you would recommend? I would need the receiver to be fairly small so it can attach to my camera while on location.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Mark Dannunzio

Return to posts index

Michael Cummins
Re: Body Pack
on Aug 7, 2009 at 6:01:51 pm

We use the Sennheiser EW 100-ENG G2 system. This series is definitely the best out of all the radio lavs I've used (which, I'll admit, isn't very broad).

I'd recommend the EW 112-p, which includes a transmitter, receiver, and omni-directional lav mic. If you're wanting something with a tighter pickup pattern, the EW 122-p system offers a cardioid lav. The EW 100-ENG has the omni lav and a block transmitter for a handheld dynamic mic.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 7, 2009 at 9:29:16 pm

Hello Mark and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Michael is right, although the G3 series with more fun stuff should be shipping any day.

My G2 kit came with an ME-2 omni lav, a bracket that attaches to the receiver and slips into the shoe on top of the camera. It tightens down very nicely. Also with the kit was a nice short cable for getting into you camera.

In most cases, I'd stick with the omni. Cardioid lavs can be fussy. You may also choose a more expensive omni lav for better sound. A countryman B6 hides very easily. A Sanken COS-11 sounds pretty great. (Come to think of it, I think the G3 comes with the better MKE2 lav.)

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 7, 2009 at 9:33:10 pm

There are a wide variety of solutions depending on your budget.

At the top of the heap are the Zaxcom and Lectrosonic digital units. These are the devices used by the pros when big money is on the line. Expect to pay $3000+ for a transmitter/receiver package

Lectrosonics and Sony have the middle ground pretty well covered. $900-$3000.

At the "affordable" end of the spectrum Sennheiser G2 units generally get the nod with systems from $600 plus.

I personally wouldn't rely on anything that costs less than that since you're paying for parts and manufacturing on a radio station, a receiver and a microphone head, and much less than that and you'll be dealing with consumer level products and craftsmanship.

Beware of the temptation to save money buying cheap "prosumer" wireless rigs. These are not reliable, not repairable, and will typically result in you having to replace them in a couple of years. Quality wireless rigs should last a decade and be endlessly repairable. One sign of quality is robust metal transmitter housings - NEVER plastic - and quality, locking connections on the microphone input into the body pack.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]