FORUMS: list search recent posts

can I 'adapt' a Senn MKE 2 - 60 (gold)

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scott robinson
can I 'adapt' a Senn MKE 2 - 60 (gold)
on Aug 1, 2009 at 11:53:34 pm

Hi,

In my quest in finding out why I have been getting so much wind noise in my recordings using a Sennheiser Wireless, I found out that I was sold a ME 104 Capsule, I now realize I maybe using the wrong capsule for the job at hand.

I interview out doors regularly and thought I was using a me 102. I do have a MKE 2 - Gold wired lav that is an Omni but it needs the K6 for power. I was wondering if I could get the MKE 2 modified to a fitting on the end that could be used in my ew 100 G2 series?

If not, should I go for the B6, Cos 11 or get a me 104 capsule to replace the current Cardiod?

thanks.

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
Re: can I 'adapt' a Senn MKE 2 - 60 (gold)
on Aug 2, 2009 at 3:29:47 am

As far as I know, you can always change the connector to match your wireless system. Probably $100 or less. But unless you are skilled at electronics, I would let a pro do the conversion. You could even get a adaptor cable made (current connector to new connector)if you still need the MKE2 to function with its current connector. Also, it's not a bad thing to have a cardiod lav in your arsenal.

Return to posts index

scott robinson
on Aug 2, 2009 at 3:42:00 am

Thanks Greg.

That is a great idea to get an adapter to allow its cross functionality with the old an new connector.

And no way would I try this myself.... I would want a pro to sort this out!

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on Aug 2, 2009 at 7:48:22 am

Perfect!

The shops I have done business with are:

Location Sound LA locationsound.com
Coffet Sound LA coffeysound.com
Trew Audio Nashville trewaudio.com
TAI Audio Miami taiaudio.com

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Aug 3, 2009 at 6:29:00 pm

Whether you have a cardioid or an omni pick-up pattern on your mic, it doesn't matter, wind noise is going to be problematic no matter what.

If wind noise on a lav is the issue, oddly enough a microscopic cat is the solution:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/385181-REG/Remote_Audio_MCAT_B_Micro_...

Yes, a Remote Audio Micro-Cat is essentially a little ball of fluff that costs $25, but, it fits on most lav mics and it really helps to diffuse wind noise.

That said, if you're shooting video, 99 times out of 100 you will get better sounding results using an omni-directional lav as opposed to a cardiod. So it may be worth it to switch out for the ME 102.

You say you have the Sennheiser G2 system... do you happen to have the combo system that includes the plug-on transmitter? If so, you can use the plug-on transmitter to wirelessly transmit your MKE-2 + K6 powering module. You can use this case to attach the plug-on transmitter to your subject's belt:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/513205-REG/Pearstone_UPOH_Universal_P...

Return to posts index

scott robinson
on Aug 3, 2009 at 11:36:05 pm

Thanks Sam...

I don't have the plug-in SPK 100.

I was wondering about the MKE 2 being a condenser Mic... would that pose an issue in being converted from the K6 module to a 1/8" plug end?

thanks

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on Aug 4, 2009 at 3:34:09 am

Hi Scott...

Almost all lavs are electret condensers and require power. Your G2 system should supply that power. The K6 can be used for hardwire applications.

Please just contact the service dept at any of the places I recommended and discuss the options. Then there is no more hypothesizing about the situation. Tell them you want to use your MKE2 with youe G2 system but still retain the original connector and the ability to hardwire with the K6. See what they say. I think it's just an adaptor cable. Maybe $40 max...

Re: Microcat: I'm sorry, Sam, but I have not found the Microcat to help much. Not that much wind protection and very scratchy when hidden. I love Glen and Remote Audio, but the microcat has never worked for me. But that was when they first came out, and mabbe the new ones are better...What has worked is the Rycote line of lav protection (Undercovers, Overcovers, etc.). But, they were kinda designed with the COS 11 in mind, so it was easy for me...

The best ever wind protection ever was the Rycote lav softies, which I don't think they make anymore (naturally)... They were way too big to use on camera, but if you cut them in half and wrapped the capsule...voila...no wind...no cloth rustle if hidden. And reusable.

Everyone has different experiences, so take that into consideration.

G

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Aug 4, 2009 at 3:54:17 pm

I hear ya, Greg. Many people have gone out of their way to tell me the opposite, that the Microcats worked well for them. I've heard good things about the Rycote fuzzballs too.

Scott - there is also the option of using this Sennheiser adapter cable for your K6 and MKE2:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/310613-REG/Sennheiser_USCM1_XLR_Femal...

This should work fine, as long as you don't have the K6P powering module. The K6P needs phantom to operate, the K6 has a AA battery slot and should power the MKE2 just fine.

Return to posts index

scott robinson
on Aug 4, 2009 at 4:12:06 pm

Wow, Sam that is an awesome option! Thanks!

And just a note that I did use a rycote fuzz ball but I was asking for trouble by trying to pull it off by the ocean with a breeze.

Could I get a few more tips...

If I go for using my MKE 2 over a ME 102 what are the main differences between the two? One is a condenser but what does that mean quality wise besides the MKE 2 requires power?

I am just trying to sort out if I should spring the cash for an omni that can be switched into the EW system easily.

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Aug 4, 2009 at 10:02:26 pm

Both of the mics are condensers. Sound-wise I'm not sure what the difference would be, they both seem like they would be nice sounding lavs. I think the real difference lies in the fact that the ME102 gives you the option of using different output cables. You can buy unterminated right angled output cables for the ME102 capsule. That could be a handy thing to have around in certain situations.

As far as having a lav mic that you can just plug into your G2 transmitter without any adpaters, you can do it on the cheap with this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/549027-REG/Pearstone_OLM2_OLM2_Replac...

If you want a better mic, even though the Pearstone sounds pretty decent, go for something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/352339-REG/Audio_Technica_AT899CL4_AT...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]