FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio interface and camera compete for FireWire...

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phillip Grey
Audio interface and camera compete for FireWire...
on Jul 26, 2009 at 10:14:59 pm

I really couldn't think of a more appropriate forum to post this in, so I hope it's fine although the issue itself doesn't necessarily pertain to audio. Also, the topic title is probably a bit confusing, but I couldn't think of anything better to title it. So here is the situation:

I have a M-Audio FireWire 410 audio interface and I use a Canon ZR800 miniDV camcorder to capture video as well as use it as a medium for an external monitor (a CRT television).

A problem has irritated me for a very long time and I've finally decided to ask if the problem is fixable. So now, here is the problem:

The interface and the camcorder will not function when plugged in at the same time. That is, I must choose to either have audio out of my interface or use my camera to capture or preview footage on a television. I can never run both at the same time, which is very frustrating.

Further symptoms:
- Running both at the same time results in videos that won't play
- The camera never receives the video signal regardless
- Audio ceases to play

At that point, I can't merely disconnect the camcorder. I have to restart, which also becomes harder to do.

I am hoping there is some type of setting I can do to remedy this dilemma. My external hard drive runs off FireWire, as well, and it never has a problem with either of them. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Audio interface and camera compete for FireWire...
on Jul 27, 2009 at 8:31:14 am

Id have thought you need a motherboard that natively supports multiple firewire streams.
Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: Audio interface and camera compete for FireWire...
on Aug 1, 2009 at 1:01:51 am

[Phillip Grey] "The interface and the camcorder will not function when plugged in at the same time."

It is generally against FW protocol to operate a video FW device AND another active "A/V" FW device at the same time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]