FORUMS: list search recent posts

5.1>2.0 "Fold & Bump" with Frame Rate Conversion

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Jones
5.1>2.0 "Fold & Bump" with Frame Rate Conversion
on Jul 26, 2009 at 6:46:45 pm

Hi There,

First time post, and I'm looking for a little help. I'm working on a project for a client, and they've asked me to perform a process that I'm not terribly familair with. They have supplied me with a 5.1 mix that is timed to 24 fps from film. They want me to convert this to a 2.0 mix that is timed to 25 fps for PAL release. I've told the client that normally this would be done by an audio professional (which I make no claim to be), but they are in a pinch and just need something "quick, cheap, and dirty." I've told them that with my toolset, I should be able to perform this for them in some automated fashion, and I'd like to do this in 1-2 steps if possible. Here is what I'm working with:

Source

6 Discreet WAV files (L,C,R,Ls,Rs,LFE)

Tools Available

Pro Tools LE
Final Cut Studio Suite
Adobe CS3 Suite
Rhozet Carbon Coder
Inlet Fathom
Telestream Episode
Quicktime Pro

Steps to Perform

1 - "Fold down" 5.1 audio > 2.0 audio
2 - Increase overall volume level by + 3db
3 - Convert from 24 fps to 25 fps (increase speed by 4.1% while maintaining pitch)
4 - Output should be a single stereo WAV file

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if I am thinking about this entirely wrong or am way off base here, please feel free to thoroughly correct me. I will not take it as an insult and will greatly appreciate your feedback!

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: 5.1>2.0 "Fold & Bump" with Frame Rate Conversion
on Jul 27, 2009 at 8:40:02 am

HI
as far as your discreets go. Does your discreet tracks have divergence mixed in to the lefts rights from the centre. If yes then the % will affect how much you put this centre into the LR.

But

Put Left - left
right - right
Centre to left and right (note above)
Ls & Rs to L & R but decrease this level by @ -6 db. (YOU NEED TO FIND OUT IF THE REARS HAVE ANY PHASE REVERSE ON THEM. IF THEY HAVE THEY WILL PHASE CANCEL THE FRONTS WHICH IS DISASTER.
remove the .1 sub.

MONITORING
monitor the whole thing back in a stereo foldwown. Or listen to the stereo back later and adjust. Youre listening for any strange artifacts phase wise. Also be willing to re visit the levels of any elements to adjust.

Im not sure on your pull up for 25 PAL. id post this question to the Digidesign DUC regarding that as I dont know what ptle has in this area.

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]