FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't Connect My Edirol MA-15 Speakers To Mac Pro

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter dunphy
Can't Connect My Edirol MA-15 Speakers To Mac Pro
on Jul 24, 2009 at 4:19:35 pm

Hi guys

I'm trying to get my Mac Pro's sound to come out the Edirol MA-15D speakers I've just got for it, but so far I'm unable to.

I'm using a Belkin Digital Optical Audio Cable to connect the speakers to my 8 core Mac Pro.

I've fiddled with the sound preferences but still unable to get any sound.

I've plugged in earphones to the front of the Edirol MA-15 Speakers but still not getting any sound out of them. In Sound Preferences I'm not getting a HEadphones option. When I select Internal Speakers / Built-In Output I get sound out of the speakers in the MacPro casing.

Any thoughts or suggestions of any kind would be really appreciated.

Peter

Return to posts index

peter dunphy
Re: Can't Connect My Edirol MA-15 Speakers To Mac Pro
on Jul 24, 2009 at 5:00:40 pm

Saw this on another archived forum " the problem is that speakers are, by nature, analog devices. They require an analog signal, and the electrical wattage of that signal determines volume levels. For a speaker to accept a digital input would require that the speaker have its own built-in digital-analog converter and an internal amplifier. I don't know of any that have this.
You definitely need a device of some sort that can convert the digital signal and amplify it for the speakers. Usually this task is done by a receiver.

Your easiest route, if you want to use the digital outs, is to just find a cheap (even used) receiver with a Toslink input. "

I could have sworn I read that I'd be able to use the Belkin Digital Optical Audio Cable with my Edirol MA-15D speakers.

Would you have any suggestions for a good quality, cheap as possible, receiver please?

Thanks in advance

Peter

Return to posts index

peter dunphy
on Jul 24, 2009 at 5:14:09 pm

Just noticed this in the product specs for these speakers:

"The MA-15D's offer input from digital sources through either the Coaxial or Optical S/PDIF ports, supporting up to 24-bit/192kHz sources. With this, you can connect digital sources directly to your speakers, keeping an unadulterated audio signal all the way to the power amplifier in your speakers. Hear exactly what you have recorded!"

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 25, 2009 at 5:14:57 pm

Hello Peter and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

So it seems like the gear should work, but doesn't.

Dig around in the Mac Sound Control Panel AND the Audio/MIDI setup app in the Applications>utilities folder.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

peter dunphy
on Jul 28, 2009 at 5:26:10 pm

Sorry I created this fresh post by accident - this is actually a post to be added to the recent thread started by me entitled " Can't Connect My Edirol MA-15 Speakers To Mac Pro"

Hi Ty

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my audio query - you're very kind.

I've since tested the speakers out via line out with a standard cable and can confirm the speakers work fine.

I've tried the 'Setting up external speakers' in Audio MIDI Setup Help but no joy as yet with the optical audio cable. I've followed this advice from the Help:

"If you are using optical digital sound output, choose “Digital Out” from the Source pop-up menu in the Audio Output section.

You can set the sample rate and bit depth in the Format pop-up menus. These should match the appropriate settings for your audio device."

For the optical audio cable the settings I have used in Audio MIDI Setup are:

Audio Devices

System Settings

Properties For: Built-in Digital Output

Default Output: Built-in Digital Output

System Output: Built-in Digital Output

When I click on Configure Speakers I see the little diagram showing the Left and Right speakers but I don't hear any sound when I click on either of them.

Under Audio Output 'Master Stream' is greyed out.

Source: Digital Out

I'm unable to increase the volume using the sliders. The volume sliders remain stuck to the left.

Under Sound

I have Digital Out Built-in Digital Output selected.

This is confusing since the product specs state "The MA-15D's offer input from digital sources through either the Coaxial or Optical S/PDIF ports, supporting up to 24-bit/192kHz sources. With this, you can connect digital sources directly to your speakers, keeping an unadulterated audio signal all the way to the power amplifier in your speakers. Hear exactly what you have recorded!"

The digital optical cable, after I've plugged in into my MacPro has a small red light at the other end (its tip) which suggests to me that the cable is working, although I haven't been able to listen via it yet!

I bought a "Toslink 3.5mm Mini Optical Cable Lead Adaptor" which unfortunately was a bad selection - as it's designed for going from* a 3.5mm jack to a Optical Cable Head.

From the MA-15D product specs, and looking at the back of the speakers (which has a proper optical-in socket) I'm confused as to why they won't let me hear sound. Perhaps I need a more suitable adaptor to go from my optical cable to the line-in socket on the speakers. However, this then leaves the good optical-in socket lying dormant.

I noticed some posts on various forums of people who have encountered the red light remaining on in the Mac Pro's optical out socket remaining lit with a red light after an optical cable has been inserted into it. I have the same issue I've just noticed - I hope that isn't what's affecting the lack of digital audio reaching my speakers!

Any thoughts whatsoever would be really welcome!

All the best

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]