FORUMS: list search recent posts

DAT recorder and mac book pro

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Irina Abraham
DAT recorder and mac book pro
on Jul 24, 2009 at 12:37:24 pm

Dear professionals!
I am absolutely new to this, so, please, bare with me. I'm editing a short film, the sound for which was recorded on DAT tapes. I have a Mac Book Pro. How do I transfer sound from the DAT recorder (Foster PD4) to my Macbook Pro? what connection do I use? Also, unfortunately, I don't have Pro Tools. Is it an option to use Sound Track Pro or even Final Cut? Thank you!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: DAT recorder and mac book pro
on Jul 25, 2009 at 5:10:58 pm

Hello Irina and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Soundtrack pro should work, maybe even FCP. I have FCP but haven't tried that yet.

The PD4 has timecode. I don't think Macbook Pro has an input that accepts timecode.

One solution would be to use Boom Recoder software on you Mac. Boom Recorder senses time code at any analog input and converts that input to a timecode input, recording it with the audio.

If you are using two tracks of audio your Mac doesn't have enough inputs for the timecode track. BoomREcorder works with a number of different I/O boxes. Google BoomRecorder and check the site for I/O boxed that have at least three inputs. You could get one with analog inputs and stream the audio form DAT to the Mac, or exit the DAT via AES or S/PDIF digital.

I don't think the AES carries timecode, but I'm not certain. Check with Fostex about that. Rick Cannata is the guy at Fostex who can answer that, or try the newsgroup rec.arts.movies.production.sound.
If the PD4 AES stream does carry timecode info, you may stream it without having to use the dedicated timecode output.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]