FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stereo problem for DVD

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Benassi
Stereo problem for DVD
on Jul 12, 2009 at 3:24:12 am

I just finished editing my first short film on FCP 6 and burned it to DVD. This DVD plays in stereo when played on my IMac, but only in mono when played on my TV or friends TV (HD TV and flat screen, both have older DVD players). When played in mono, a lot of important sounds are lost.
To remedy this I was going to convert all mono audio to stereo in FCP (copy each mono track and drag pan to other side). Can this create inferior audio (like ambient noise)?
Is there anything in the output process I can do to get a DVD that consistently outputs stereo audio?
(Use Compressor and DVD Studio Pro, latest editions of both. Burned project to 2 separate files: MPEG2 for video and AC3 for audio)

Any ideas? Thanks!

David

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Stereo problem for DVD
on Jul 12, 2009 at 1:28:52 pm

It sounds like you're making a stereo DVD properly. Perhaps the older players are just mono or are cabled improperly. Have you heard either of those players playing stereo?

You can copy mono tracks in FCP to a second track with no increase in noise. Overall, you'll have to lower the gain of both channels as the audio will get louder by doing this. It's not necessary to do this unless one mono track wasn't loud enough. This would be a way to fix that. With just one audio track, I'm assuming you've got it panned to the middle (unless the track has an effect you're panning in stereo space).

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5

Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]