FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bad empty, echo sound from recording

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Mazzarella
Bad empty, echo sound from recording
on Jul 7, 2009 at 11:10:54 am

Audio - FCP. I recently video taped inside a building that had a slight empty and echo sound for my audio narration. What settings in fcp audio can I use do give this a more dead, less echo sound?

Thomas Mazzarella

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: Bad empty, echo sound from recording
on Jul 7, 2009 at 3:34:17 pm

Re-record in a better (or a better-prepared) location will be the only effective remedy.

Sorry.

Return to posts index

JC Boulay
on Jul 7, 2009 at 3:51:34 pm

No amount of EQ or expansion will give a convincing result. The best thing to do is a re-record or ADR, depending if it's VO or sync audio.

You could try using an expander with the threshold set just below the lowest voice level you want to keep and try and duck the room away, but that usually sounds kind of crap on its own, as it only removes the room from dead spots in the audio.

Aside from waiting for someone to release the De-Echolizer plugin, you're pretty much stuck with what you've got. Not everything can be fixed in the mix with audio.

Sorry.

JC Boulay
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jul 7, 2009 at 4:24:21 pm

I've not tried this, but recall seeing it in a thread. If you have Soundtrack Pro, there's a filter you get to through the Process Menu > Effects > Dynamics > Enveloper > User Presets > Roomkiller. It sounded like a fancy noise gate. As mentioned above, echo/reverb can't be removed.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5

Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jul 8, 2009 at 8:31:22 am

Like everyone says.
If you make a cup of tea and put sugar in it, you cant later remove the sugar - only make a fresh cup.
What you CAN do is add "other stuff" music fx etc etc to lessen the nakedness of the poorer sound, but it will stay poor, just accompanied by other audio.

Corry

Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]