FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gold contacts

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Groom
Gold contacts
on Jun 30, 2009 at 9:25:37 pm

Does anyone know exactly what the difference is between gold plugs (say jacks) and silver metal. Is it conductivity, or what characteristic does it posess?
I have a mini mic jack that crackles like mad when rotated with a silver jack, but gold jacks are silent.

EEH!!!

Peter

dubbing mixer

Return to posts index

Michael Brown
Re: Gold contacts
on Jun 30, 2009 at 10:35:23 pm

Gold plated contacts resist corrosion better - which is probably the source of your "crackles". Your "silver" contacts are probably nickel plated and have just worn out/corroded.

Silver is the best conductor, but we all know what happens to silver that's exposed to air. Copper follows, same problem.

I highly recommend gold contact connectors for any portable equipment, especially in moist/salty environments. No need to buy $$$ exotic connectors, standard gold plated Neutriks are great - probably $1 more on average. Don't buy connectors from your average supply house unless you like paying top dollar. Full Compass usually has the best prices on connectors in groups of 10. Sometimes 10 from them is what 2 costs from the other places.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Jul 1, 2009 at 6:27:56 am

+1 to what Michael said. I think he nailed your problem.

You could buy some Caig DeOxit to help with your corrosion problems...FullCompass sells that, also.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 1, 2009 at 12:19:59 pm

Peter,

While you're at it, dig out the micrometer and check to see if the offending plug is slightly smaller.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]