FORUMS: list search recent posts

Genelec 6010a - connect to Mac Pro

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Stevinson
Genelec 6010a - connect to Mac Pro
on Jun 27, 2009 at 9:02:13 pm

HI there,

Apologies if this question is quite simple.

I have just purchased a pair of Genelec 6010a ( I wanted the best speakers for my mac)

Yet what is the best way of connecting them to the mac pro?

The answer I got from the store was to use an audio y cable - but this seems quite simple.

I do not mind spending money on a card or an external box so I can have great sound.

Sorry if my question is basic but I would appreciate a response.

Many thanks in advance,

Dave

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Genelec 6010a - connect to Mac Pro
on Jun 27, 2009 at 10:33:40 pm

Hello Dave and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Please let us know more about the Genelec interconnects.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Dave Stevinson
on Jun 29, 2009 at 7:49:25 am

Hi there,

They both have one rca signal input.

What would be the best way of connecting to the mac pro in order to get stereo?

Dave

Dave Stevinson
GM
Edge10 Corporation Limited
http://www.edge10.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 29, 2009 at 12:15:08 pm

Dave,

The MacPro (mine anyway) seems to have two different 1/8" TRS unbalanced audio output jack, one on the front, one on the back.

Either one will do, but you have to assign it within FCP and the Mac audio system panel. It took me a bit of trial and effort to figure that out, but it works.

I use a Mackie Big Knob in between my MacPro and power amp. It lets me run my CD player turntable and other sources including my Mac through the monitor system. Not necessarily some you have to do, but perhaps something that might come in handy.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Dave Stevinson
on Jun 29, 2009 at 1:27:53 pm

Thanks Ty,

I have two speakers and one input, so would you suggest I just use a simple y connector. (To get the two speakers out of one source)

Dave Stevinson

Dave Stevinson
GM

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 29, 2009 at 2:49:41 pm

I'm thinking you have two speakers and each of the two outputs (not inputs) I mentioned in my previous post would require a 1/8" TRS to two male or female RCAs, depending on how far you have to go. Most RCA cables are male-to-male, so you'd need the splitter jacks to be female.

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 28, 2009 at 4:12:02 pm

And what kind of work do you intend to do with the Mac.? What audio and/or video apps will you be using?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Dave Stevinson
on Jun 29, 2009 at 7:52:02 am

Hi John,

I just got Final Cut Studio 2. Yet have not put it on yet. I want to get familiar with the system initially. My first priority is getting really good sound in Itunes and for Garageband prior to going to pro apps.

Thanks Dave

Dave Stevinson
GM

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 29, 2009 at 1:58:46 pm

Ty's suggestion about the Mackie Big Knob is a good one. You really need to have some control between your Mac and the Genelecs. Otherwise, you might be combing speaker cone out of your hair one day. I suggest you consider a small mixer (Mackie makes them, too). That way you can direct the audio from decks, cameras, I/O devices, etc. to the mixer inputs for capture and also monitor and control the output of FCP.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 29, 2009 at 2:40:25 pm

Hey John,

I think the Big Knob has some of those routing capabilities, but I haven't used them yet. Actually my favorite feature is the MONO button to check phase and polarity.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 29, 2009 at 4:48:28 pm

The old mono button is certainly indispensable. It's the only programmable button I've set on my mixer. A quick click turns up all sorts of problems that might hide in the background of a mix.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on Jun 30, 2009 at 3:55:29 pm

Dave-

The Genelec 6010A is supposed to come with a 1/8" mini to RCA cable. Look in the box, it should be in there. If it isn't, then contact the store that sold it to you and see to it that they take care of you.

You plug the 1/8" side into the line output on the back of your Mac Pro. The RCA side goes into your 6010. It's as simple as that. I wouldn't advise spending money on a mixer or stuff like that until you determine that you NEED it. If you want better sound, you should consider getting the 5040A subwoofer for you 6010A's. It will make everything sound better.

Return to posts index

Dave Stevinson
on Jun 30, 2009 at 4:06:53 pm

Thanks Sam. Got it rigged up - I still need more bass - so I will definitely get a sub - need to rattle the piggy bank!!

Thanks to all on COW!

Dave

Dave Stevinson
GM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]