FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tascam portable stereo recorder DR-07 and Sennheiser ME66

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zdenicka Novotna
Tascam portable stereo recorder DR-07 and Sennheiser ME66
on Jun 25, 2009 at 4:20:32 pm

What do you think of this little recorder, under $200. Can it be used for film?

How good is the Sennheiser? Can it be used indoors, or as a shotgun it should not be used? Can you talk directly to it, or do you have to be at a distance? Can you use the Sennheiser on fishpole? Is it suitable? I want to use it also with Canon XHA1 HDV camera. What do you think?

Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Moore
Re: Tascam portable stereo recorder DR-07 and Sennheiser ME66
on Jun 26, 2009 at 3:23:17 pm

I have this combo, but I don't normally use it for recording audio for film (I use my Fostex FR2 recorder & a Wendt X3 pre)... I'd be more tempted to get a pre & feed line-in to your camera's XLR connectors. You could even go XLR direct from the ME66, but you'll have better results with a pre. If you're only using the ME66 on a fishpole you might want to look at the Whirlwind MD1 (http://www.whirlwindusa.com/md1.html) as a way to monitor the boom results & feed to your camera.

You'll hear that the ME66 is considered a "student" mic, and that there are other options that are more professional sounding- that is quite true... You could rent a better short shotgun... But, if you want to have the freedom to use your own equipment when & where you want, then this is an adequate mic. As for it's use- I wouldn't set it up as an interview mic (hand held, or on a stand) because it is best used on a pole.

I added a pair of ME64 cardioid capsules to my kit, in order to use the same K6 power units, and the ME64 is much better used indoors. I also added a pair of ME62 omni capsules, so that I could have a full range of mics. You can also use the 62s or the 64s in a stereo array (AB, XY, NOS, ORTF, etc.) if needed.

If you're just starting out, like I am, then I don't see how the Sennheiser K6 & MEXX combos could be considered a bad investment- You can always sell them later when you're ready to move up!

John Moore
sound.flyingmonkeystudio.com

John Moore
sound.flyingmonkeystudio.com

Return to posts index

Zdenicka Novotna
Re: Tascam portable stereo recorder DR-07 and Sennheiser ME66
on Jul 7, 2009 at 5:35:03 am

thank you

Is the M66 good as a camera mounted mike? Does it sound good indoors?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]