FORUMS: list search recent posts

Computer for live recording

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Kratzke
Computer for live recording
on Jun 16, 2009 at 3:27:29 pm

I'm in the process of putting together a computer system for live recording. I just got a MOTU 24i/PCI-324 super cheap on eBay (about $200 for the set) which I will be plugging straight into the 24 channels of the live console, and will be adding an extra 8 channels of XLR for audience mics. All said and done, I'll be recording 32 total channels simultaneously.

My next step is building the computer. I'm trying to go with some very efficient parts to avoid having to add noisy fans to the system. I will be doing all of the final mixes on my production desktop, so the recording computer will not be running any plugins.

Any suggestions as to how much processor power I'm going to need? I'm used to composing with lots of plugins and virtual instruments, so I've always been looking for the biggest and best I can afford... the concept of being conservative in my build is brand new for me!

Thanks!

-Kevin

p.s. I've always used Cakewalk (Sonar v8 at this point)... if anyone has encountered problems with it in situations like this, I'd love to hear alternatives!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Computer for live recording
on Jun 17, 2009 at 12:46:59 pm

Hello Kevin and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

My approach for choosing computers for production has always been to buy the fastest thing out there, knowing that in six months, there will be a faster one.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]