FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheisser Wireless noise and wind

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kaye Woods
Sennheisser Wireless noise and wind
on Jun 11, 2009 at 7:18:09 pm

Hi,

I have the Evolution G2 100 Series Lavalier system with an ME 2 mic (omnidirectional) and have been doing some shoots outside and got really bad wind noise. (furry windjammer didn't work worth squat) So I decided a cardiod would help this. So I purchased the right angled Sennheisser MKE105EW mic (cardiod), but I still get wind noise AND if the speaker moves his arms around too much I hear a lot of rubbing/distortion noise... it seems to occur when the bottom of the mic is being rubbed? This mic came with a super cheap clip made of plastic. Maybe I need a new clip for this? Any suggestions about how to NOT get wind noise in a lavalier mic AND why I'm getting noise from my new cardiod mic? Does any of this have to do with the settings on my transmitter or receiver? Please list any suggestions! :)

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Sennheisser Wireless noise and wind
on Jun 12, 2009 at 1:45:39 am

Hello Kaye,
Have a look at this link it may answer some of the problems you are having...

http://www.locationsound.com/proaudio/ls/tips/techtips8_4.html

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jun 12, 2009 at 3:55:56 am

Hi Kaye-

The link in Brian's post is a good read; esp. the part about clothing noise.

Wind screens are mostly useless outside. You're going to have to hide it under clothing. This brings up another issue: clothing noise.

As someone who has had to rig a fair number of people with lavs, I can tell you it's the one part of my job I hate. Clothing (whether rubbing on the mic, mic cable, or itself) is almost always a problem. The only two riggings that work for me are:

One: the sticky triangles

Two: the rubber mount with the COS 11X lav mic and Top Stick tape.

One time I even made a near baseball-sized ball of gaffer tape around the mic. I STILL got clothing noise. This was of course because the actress was waring a dress made of satin; the worst material to deal with sound.

Anyway, your mics are not the problem. It's the rigging of them.

Regards,

Dave J

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 12, 2009 at 10:55:48 am

Welcome to the Cow Audio Forum, Kaye.

Dave and Brian are correct. Your use of the cardioid mic may even make wind noise worse because cardioid mics are more sensitive to lower frequencies (like wind).

Satin is a nasty material and so is nylon.

Getting a mic on right without noise is a craft. I frequently put a loop in the cord and find a place inside the garment to tape it with a square of g-tape. This acts a a mechanical damper to reduce clothing noise and body rub from being mechanically conducted up the mic cord to the mic.

BTW, there are some great plastic mic clips that I prefer to some of the metal ones.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Tom Maloney
on Jun 12, 2009 at 11:15:32 am

I dont know if you can get the Sanken mic wired for your Sennheisser.
I use these mics with my Lectros and I have to say the vampire clip is great, it hides well, blocks wind and clothing noise better than anything else I have tried. It such a great idea yet so simple.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=964

regards,
Tom
http://www.slatemic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]