FORUMS: list search recent posts

Boom Poles

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Fuhrman
Boom Poles
on Jun 10, 2009 at 4:57:55 pm

Dear C.Cow,

In your opinion what is the best audio boom pole for film work? Would you recommend a boom pole with a coiled or internally wired cable?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: Boom Poles
on Jun 10, 2009 at 5:40:02 pm

I have been using (similar to) one of these for over 10 years.

http://www.amazon.com/Shur-Line-6500-43-to-78-Inch-Extension-Pole/dp/B00004...

I adapted the end to fit a standard mic thread.

I know it's not a graphite high-dollar stick, but if you're on a budget...
it holds the mic near the talent and doesn't weigh too much.

(Stop by a Lowes or Home Depot and see what you think.)

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Jun 10, 2009 at 9:21:39 pm

Hi Peter-

I'm sure everyone has their favorite. I currently use a PSC Elite med. coiled pole. However, I mostly do EFP/ENG stuff. If you're talking about feature film production, regardless of the brand, you should make sure the pole will extend at least 12' if not more. I would also get one that does not have a cable inside.

Regards,

Dave J

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 11, 2009 at 1:52:29 am

Hello Peter and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I have a 16ft carbon fiber K-tek pole rigged for external cable.

I went w/a 16 footer because I knew if I got a 12 footer, I'd need 16 feet the next day. I've only deployed it full about 4 times in 12 years, but the extra length does come in VERY handy as a counterweight. It's a LOT easier to hold a boom with a bit extending behind you to balance the weight. The particular model I have can be extended or collapsed fairly quietly. I've needed that when I get backed into a wall or corner and need several lengths to cover the action. YMMV.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on Jun 24, 2009 at 2:50:57 pm

I'll just chime in...hehe...

I have med and large PSC/VdB cabled poles for ENG, and L and XL (18') VdBs non-cabled for features. I'm not so lucky as Ty, for I have had the 18 footer at full extension with an MKH 70 more times than I care to remember... Now my back hurts...

If you get an internal coil cable, you will have to develop a very steady boom technique... The cable has a tendency to rattle around if you're not careful... But the convenience is great.

G

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]