FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Pro audio problem

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
Intensity Pro audio problem
on Jun 3, 2009 at 9:03:02 pm

FYI, I've also posted this same question under the Blackmagic forum. Not sure if its a card problem or mixer problem.

I'm having a heck of time trying to record aa audio scratch track through FCP, a Mackie 1202 and Intensity Pro card. I've done this a hundred times with no issues. Here's my set up and problem.

I'm getting crazy loud feed back through my mixer when I try and adjust my levels and gain.
Set up:
• Intensity Pro card, analog audio inputs and outputs loop through my Mackie 1202 tape input and outputs
• mic plugged into channel 3 via XLR
• video input device is powered on so that FCP sees the Intensity card, then video is unchecked in my capture window, clip settings so that only audio is recorded.

As mentioned above, I've done this hundreds of times with no issues. All the sudden, my audio comes in sweeky, almost robotic sounding, and with tons of feedback.

Any thoughts as to whats causing this?

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Intensity Pro audio problem
on Jun 4, 2009 at 3:47:55 am

Hello Matt and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You have a button in the wrong position that's looping an output to an input.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jun 4, 2009 at 1:44:05 pm

Ty, thanks for your timely response. I've went over this time after time and still can't find it. I've even tested it using my DVD player and capturing both audio and video into the card and am still getting the sweek and feedback. Let me explain the setup a little further:

• analog out from card into Tape Input on the Mackie 1202. Tape output from the mixer into the Analog input on the card, thus creating the loop
• Control Room Source on mixer has Tape button selected and Assigned to Main Mix
• Gain and Levels on mic channel are set to Unity
• Phantom power is off on the mixer for the Sennheiser mic
• Mute and Solo on mic channel are off
• all wires are connected tightly

However, would the mixer and left speaker being close to each other have anything to do with it? I wouldn't think so, cause on video playback from FCP, it sounds perfect. Its only on inputting the audio. Again, I haven't changed anything since the last time I recorded something. I don't know why this is happening all of the sudden.

Any further thoughts? I don't think its a FCP setting. I've narrowed it down to the Intensity card and mixer.

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Jun 4, 2009 at 2:26:41 pm

I think I've figured it out. I deselected the Assign to Main Mix button on the mixer and all works fine now. Always something so simple. I'm still new to my setup, even after a year or so, I don't quite understand the setups yet. Why would the Assign to Main Mix do this?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 4, 2009 at 2:35:55 pm

MAtt,

There you go!

Good job.

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved