FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser Radio Mic - ew 100 G2 SETTINGS

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anna Little
Sennheiser Radio Mic - ew 100 G2 SETTINGS
on May 30, 2009 at 7:52:57 am

Hello
I urgently need help with the settings on my Sennheiser radio mic – ew100 G2 – which I have accidentally managed to change.
I am going out filming with my Sony PD170 to the field tomorrow (I work in Ethiopia) and am rather concerned!
Could someone please help me – I’ve never had to do this before and need to know asap!
Thanks to anyone who can help me!
Anna

Anna Little

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Sennheiser Radio Mic - ew 100 G2 SETTINGS
on May 30, 2009 at 9:56:59 pm

Hello Anna and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Knowing the current status of your transmitter and receiver would be helpful.

It's difficult to know how to fix something when I don't know how it's broken.

The transmitter and receiver menus are fairly easy to navigate. Open the face, hit the On/Off button to turn the transmitter or receiver on. Hit the SET button to bring up the menus. Use the two-way toggle button on the face of the unit to scroll to the setting you need to adjust.

Unless you can figure out what got changed, I suggest you toggle the button to RESET and hit the SET button. Toggle from NO to OK. Hit the SET button. The screen will turn blank for a few seconds and then come back on showing the main panel. You may have to adjust the transmit and receive frequencies, but you'll be starting with a clean slate.

Future adjustments are made the same way. Use the SET button to get you into the menus. Use the toggle button to get to the right choice. Use The SET button to confirm the choice. Then toggle to EXIT to get home.

If you SKYPE, I'm tyford. I will be near the computer for a while this afternoon and will leave skype on.

Um, in addition, please find andread the manual.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Anna Little
on May 31, 2009 at 5:52:35 am

Thanks very much Ty.

I did the whole ‘reset’ thing but have absolutely no idea what frequency I should be on!? How do I find that out? I am British but work in Ethiopia….any ideas how I can find out?

It’s 9am Sunday here now, I think you may have gone to sleep now and we’re not allowed to use Skkype here (government has monopoly on telecoms….)
Any further advice is very welcome!

Thanks again, Anna

Anna Little

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 31, 2009 at 11:35:15 am

You'll probably end up with both sets on the same frequency after reset. That frequency may work for one set. Turn on one transmitter and one receiver to confirm the pair works. You'll have to find another frequency for the 2nd set.

Leave the first transmitter on. Turn on the other receiver. Navigate to the Scan feature. Hit SET, then HIt START. When it finds a frequency, it the set button again. Then navigate back to EXIT and hit the SET button again. Observe the frequency. Turn on the second transmitter. Navigate to TUNE. Hit SET. Use the toggle button to set the transmitter to the same frequency as the receiver you just scanned with.

That's in the manual. Assuming you have lost it. Here.
http://www.doit.wisc.edu/digital_media_center/images/EFLmanuals/sennheiser_...

Where's your sound person?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Anna Little
on Jun 6, 2009 at 8:44:51 am

Sorry for the delay - I haven’t been able to get on to this website til now.

And sound person!?!? I’m a one-woman-band! I’m a video journalist based in Ethiopia (right now I’m filming in the north of the country where I haven’t been able to reply to your email until now!) and there’s very little technical support here - but Creative Cow is a life-saver.
Thanks for the advice. Because I’m thick – I have one other question! I’m slightly confused when you say “one set” - I just have one set of Sennheiser radio mics (2 little black gadgets – I assume one is a transmitter and the other a receiver!!). Do I still have to do all those things or is that just if I have more than one set?? Sorry, but I’m not very technical!
Thanks again for your advice.
Anna

Anna Little

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jun 6, 2009 at 11:52:42 am

Hello from rainy Baltimore, Anna,

By "one set" I mean one transmitter and one receiver. The two little boxes you have.

After resetting the transmitter and receiver, you should be OK, but...

If you find the wireless doesn't work due to interference, you will have to change the operating frequency by scaning with the receiver and then changing the transmitter as I have outlined earlier in this string.

And.......

Different countries have different uses of the frequency spectrum. I don't know what Ethiopia's rules are. Neither does Sennheiser, but if you're going to be in other countries you may need to find out.

Here's the link: http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/professional_wireless...

Some countries reserve certain frequencies for government use. If you operate the wireless on a frequency that is assigned to another use and they can find you, you may be in some trouble.

OTOH, you may be fine.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Anna Little
on Jun 9, 2009 at 1:34:59 pm

Thanks Ty - oh what i'd give for it to rain here!
Thanks for the info. The set works but there's often a hum/buzz - it's something else i need to fix!! It's strange because it starts when the person talks - if they remain silent it doesn't hum/buzz. Very strange, and new. Maybe it's the wire (after looking at your other posts!) so i'll need to get that fixed too!
Have a good day and thanks again for all your help, Anna

Anna Little

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 7, 2009 at 5:37:26 am

http://dvcreators.net/products/sennheiser_wireless_movieframe.htm

This should help. Sit down with the device and practice setting the controls until you get it.

You'll notice in the demo that when you set a certain menu item you can exit the menu system by pressing the on off button quickly. That's a time saver and might prevent accidentally changing another feature.

The only thing in the demo that I question is mike placement. Though I wouldn't put the mike on the throat area, I usually put it higher than he suggests. You might also consider getting a countryman mike that works with this unit.

I would also take a wired ENG mike with me as a backup. There are locations where no frequency will work due to some kind of interference.

Scan for a different frequency if there is interference or the default frequency is reserved by law for a certain use.

If you only have one set, what do you use for the interviewer?

OSX 10.5.3; MAC PRO 2 X 2.8 GHZ (EARLY 2008); FCP Suite; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170;Canon xl2; Pana consumer cams; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Anna Little
on Jun 9, 2009 at 1:39:29 pm

Thanks very much for this advice Craig!
Anna

Anna Little

Return to posts index

lorna tucker
on May 26, 2011 at 4:10:20 am

Hi there, I have the Sennheiser Radio Mic Ek100 G2E , that are from the uk, but am in the united states filming and there seems to be a crackling all the time when recording sound, even when I have changed cables.We have tuned it to the channel that it linked eachother with, so if you have any words of wisdom or any advice of which channel we should use, or what we should do?
Thankyou
Lor

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 26, 2011 at 12:20:12 pm

Hello Lorna and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum

The Sennheiser G2 series comes in several frequency bands. Which band is denoted by A, B or C.
I think the g3 is the same, so the bands are 516-558 MHz, 626-668 MHz, and 566-608 MHz.

Within each band there may be frequencies that are not usable in the US.ght column of this doc

Check the frequency sheet PDF docs from the right column of this page to find out more.
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/professional_evolution-wireless-g3_ew-100-g3-s...

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]