FORUMS: list search recent posts

How light could you go?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Reynolds
How light could you go?
on May 17, 2009 at 1:11:30 am

With excess baggage flying now costing over $10 per kg, how light could you make your audio kit?
What would you take, what could you leave at home and how could you make it lighter?
Thinner cables?
Plastic XLR connectors?
Batteries, how many do you take or could you pick them at your destination?
Headphones, do you take you favorite or would "in ear" be OK?
etc
etc

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: How light could you go?
on May 17, 2009 at 11:19:19 am

Hello Brian,

The same rules that apply to the picture apply to sound.

If where you're going is a hostile environment and the job is mission critical, you need backup.

About consumables; Check to see if they have what you want when you get there,

Plastic connectors; none that I know of, plus the metal may be part of the shielding.

IEP don't provide the same listening experience as good headphones (so far as I know).

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on May 19, 2009 at 8:09:28 am

Hi Brian,

I totally agree with Ty... Generally as soon as you leave something out to save the production money, that's the first thing you will need.

Always take a kit that is tailored to the job at hand, but with backup precautions. If production wants to buy you batteries and expendables, available to you on location, that's great. I always travel with enough to get me through 1 day, at least. Or bring with you, if you made an all-in deal.

Production should pay the baggage. If they don't, then increase your rate to compensate. If you are offering all-in, then you need to adjust your rates accordingly.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on May 21, 2009 at 4:24:35 pm

yesterday I got stung £300 over weight baggage for my kit by Air france on a ticket that cost £100!!!

Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]