FORUMS: list search recent posts

EDL, XML, OMF, oh my!!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Curda
EDL, XML, OMF, oh my!!
on May 13, 2009 at 9:03:28 am

Hi all,

I have a little problem...yes, I've seen the doctor already, haha!

Workflow:

Production: RED cam recording mix/guide track, SD744T recording Poly wav files (4-8 tracks)

Picture Post: Cutting in FCP 6.03 using guide track.

Sound Post: PT HD2 7.4

Now, the dilemma...

1. EDL: PT, as far as I know, requires PostConform, or such, to read and execute. We don't have a complete set of film tools for PT.

2. XML: XMLPro cannot handle poly files.

3. OMF: Exporting from FCP to PT loses source TC from guide track, making replacement of guide track with split out Poly wavs a manual operation without the benefit of guide TC... Or lay in split out tracks to FCP first and generate OMF to PT (our current process).

Is there anything else out there that I'm missing, or does anybody have a suggested workflow change? The current solution works, it's just painfully slow and labor intensive...

When we were shooting film, the lab did all the syncing and the polys just layed into the FCP timeline w/pix (or so I'm told). With RED, we're the lab.

I have read some posts that complained about this being a problem with direct injection of files without any ingest process. Don't really understand that, other than people might not take the time to fill in all the reel data, etc...that you would during capture.

What about dropping the poly option in the 744? Will it just record 4 discreet files? Then use XMLPro? Don't know if that's any faster because I understand you would then have to load them 1 at a time, right?

I'm in a software freeze currently, so trying to find a better way without outlay...

All ideas are appreciated...thanks!

Greg

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
Re: EDL, XML, OMF, oh my!!
on May 14, 2009 at 2:57:36 am

Hi all,

I will take any views on this issue, so if someone has anything, I'd love to hear it...

The longer I work, the less I know...

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on May 19, 2009 at 8:11:33 am

Ah... no views??

Ok... I will stick with OMF workflow till I find something better.

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on May 25, 2009 at 1:59:50 am

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the recommendation. I had looked at VK before, and will examine again. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something simple I had overlooked...

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on May 21, 2009 at 4:37:05 pm

Sorry Im late on this post but Ive been away mixing

Consider this.

use REd guide (and lets face it that all theyre good for) in FCP

IN PT get the guide track UNCUT from editor and import. Then import all the real recordings and spot up all tracks under the guide track.
Position this sequence at a start tc that matches the guides embedded tc
and make sure any stops are allowed for so the whole TCs from the real tracks and the audio on the guides match exactly.

Get the editor to do his edit.
Get an EDL pre the cut, and a changes list post the cut (this tells you the offsets.
Then spend a long laborious time re matching the PT timeline to the new edl

OR

get Virtualkaty.com to do it all for you automatically.

Its a few quid, but well worth the cost and investment over the years.

Peter

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]