FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio splitter problem

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Allen
Audio splitter problem
on May 11, 2009 at 4:17:31 pm

Hi to all. This is a great forum.

I have an audio question and I'm hoping someone here has delt with this before.

I have a DVCPro50 AJ-D910 wap Camera. My normal deck that I use to import to my non-linear is down and I must injest my audio and video into the non-linear directly from my camera. Video out is no problem.

However, Panasonic only provides one xlr audio out plug. By selecting my camera monitor out switch, I can send audio channel one or two out seperately or mixed but I can't split them at the same time. I need to send them out at the same time only splitting the channels one and two seperately before they go into my non-linear capture device.

Is there an easy way to do this? Is there some sort of splitter that will divide the channels?

Thanks in advance. Mark

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Audio splitter problem
on May 11, 2009 at 5:40:44 pm

I'm not familiar with that camera. My only thought is capture the video and channel 1 audio first, and then just capture channel 2 audio without video. Hopefully, someone who knows the camera will know how to capture it all at once. Otherwise, it takes twice the time to capture. You might try a post on the Panasonic forum. http://forums.creativecow.net/panasonicagdvx100

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 12, 2009 at 3:09:21 am

Hello Mark and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

How weird is that? Only ONE XLR out for a camera with two tracks. They must never have expected it to be used as a deck.

If you must use the camera, you pretty much have to make a second pass for the second audio track and try to sync it manually.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on May 12, 2009 at 8:25:09 am

Just check that the audio out XLR connector on the back of the camera.. is it a 5 pin or 3 pin?
I think you will find you have a 3 pin female audio in, 4 pin DC power in and 5 pin audio out
You will be able to switch between tracks 1/2 and 3/4
I have used a similar camera but a slightly different model and that has a 5 pin out.
If it is 5 pin the connections are
Pin 1 Earth
Pin 2 L+
Pin 3 L-
Pin 4 R+
Pin 5 R-

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 12, 2009 at 10:36:33 am

Brian,

Good idea, but when I pulled up the owner's manual on the web, it indicated a Male XLR 3-P, which I assumed was a three pin. The language seemed to indicate that there was a monitor out switch that allowed switching from one track to another. Perhaps Mark can confirm.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on May 12, 2009 at 10:47:21 am

I just downloaded the manual as well, it looks like ch1 or ch2 or mix of 1+2 on a 3pin xlr.
It looks like you will NOT get seperate tracks out.
You may need to borrow or hire a machine to do the transfer.

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Mark Allen
on May 12, 2009 at 4:28:14 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of your posts. Yes, the xlr audio out is a 3 pin that I can switch from ch 1 to ch 2 or Mix out. I can choose the configuration on a Monitor Out switch on the camera. Also, thru another switch I have the option of choosing Stereo or Mix.

I don't know alot about pin configuration, but from the previous posts I take it you could split the channels if it was on a 5-pin but not a 3 pin. Is this correct?

Also, does the ability to choose stereo or mix make any difference in trying to split the audio out feed?

Originally, I was hoping to add some sort of splitter and take two seperate channels (thru cables) into my non-linear editing breakout box. Thanks for all of your help.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 12, 2009 at 6:24:07 pm

[Mark Allen] "I don't know alot about pin configuration, but from the previous posts I take it you could split the channels if it was on a 5-pin but not a 3 pin. Is this correct?

Also, does the ability to choose stereo or mix make any difference in trying to split the audio out feed?
"

Hi Mark,

Unless they are running unbalanced audio out of that 3-pin, you will only get one output. Stereo might make a mono mix (but why would they call it stereo??) You have a strange beast. Try listening and switching and make your decision accordingly.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
on May 12, 2009 at 6:49:37 pm

Mark,

Is there a Firewire (IEEE1394) output? If so, that will carry both video and stereo audio. Otherwise it will take two passes as others have said.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
on May 13, 2009 at 4:22:16 pm

I'm guessing that the "stereo" monitor selector position is in regard to the camera's HEADPHONE output.

You COULD see what that output sounds like (use a patch cord like from a portable CD player that has a stereo mini plug on one end that breaks out to two RCA plugs.)

You could send those RCA plugs (via adapters) into an audio mixer and feed the mixer to your XLR inputs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]