FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frequency

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dannunzio
Frequency
on May 7, 2009 at 7:32:54 pm

Hello,

Sometimes when I bring my SURE wireless Lav microphone into a school classroom for interviews, it seems like it drops in and out. It sounds horrible. This does not happen all of the time. I make sure the batteries are changed. Could it be something to do with the frequency being used?

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Mark

Mark Dannunzio

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: Frequency
on May 8, 2009 at 12:11:21 am

[Mark Dannunzio] "Could it be something to do with the frequency being used?"

It could.
It could also be other RF interference sources, the construction of the room, or the location of the receiver relative to the transmitter.

Return to posts index

Mark Dannunzio
on May 8, 2009 at 2:00:04 pm

Thank you,

What would you suggest that I do to prevent this from happening?

Thanks again

Mark

Mark Dannunzio

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
on May 8, 2009 at 2:14:55 pm

[Mark Dannunzio] "What would you suggest that I do to prevent this from happening? "

You need to first determine what is creating the problem.

Try moving the receiver to different parts of the room.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on May 8, 2009 at 3:36:26 pm

Hi Mark-

This is not an uncommon issue; I think I speak for everyone when I say, we all have problems with dropouts and interference in all kinds of situations.

You may not be able to find what's causing it...at least in any timely manner. It could be a near-by radio or TV station; I've heard Blackberry's can cause interference. I've had Nextel's and even those strobe lights on police cars cause interference with video cameras I was using. It may not even be a transmitting device; it could be something else. About the only thing you can do is move the receiver around or closer until you have a clean siginal. Sometimes even this won't work.

Anyway, don't get discouraged :o)

Dave J

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on May 8, 2009 at 5:11:16 pm

If your wireless system is "frequency agile" - meaning that you can change the channel on the transmitter and receiver, then I would definitely try that out. You should also try to keep the antennas of the transmitter and receiver within eye shot of one another. For example, instead of hiding the transmitter on your subject, move it so the antenna is visible, and the same with the receiver.

If there's a lot of glass and metal in the room, it can cause the wireless system to drop out. Perhaps you can move things around a bit to avoid the signal bouncing off the glass.

If that fails, see if you can buy an antenna amplification system for your wireless kit. If you don't want to invest more money into this system that is failing you, consider bumping up to a more robust wireless system with a higher transmission power, like a Lectrosonics system that transmits at 100 mW:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/332355-REG/Lectrosonics_UCR100LMAK_26...

Return to posts index

Mark Dannunzio
on May 11, 2009 at 7:33:28 pm

Thank you all very much!

I have also done some reading up and noticed that the frequency 696-806 MHZ is subject to interference. There could be a numerous reasons for interference like you said due to the school building setting. :( I might just have the company purchase a new mic and transmitter that does not operate between 698-806 MHZ.
I'll play around some more first.

Thanks again,

Mark

Mark Dannunzio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]