FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser wireless to PA (church, DJ, etc.)

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dmitriy Dribinskiy
Sennheiser wireless to PA (church, DJ, etc.)
on May 5, 2009 at 1:09:48 am

Hi,
What is the right way to connect a Sennheiser wireless EW112 G2 to the PA? When I shoot wedding receptions the DJ's are always "guessing" or give me an "available" output. Same with the churches. Sometimes it works :) Which output is right for me and which one is "NO"? Any additional settings/devices/etc. I should be aware of? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Sennheiser wireless to PA (church, DJ, etc.)
on May 5, 2009 at 12:13:57 pm

Hello Dimitriy,

There is never one answer. There are many answers. You will never know until you plug in. You can never take the word of the person at the console. They may not know. You need to be prepared to deal with the situation at the moment and adjust accordingly.

Having flexible gear helps. Knowing how to make use of the flexibility is key. I use a Sound Devices 442 mixer. It has four inputs that each can be adjusted from mic through line level. The three outputs can be set to mic, -10 or line. Its transformers help to scrape off noise. Its limiters prevent overs. Its preamps sound very good.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on May 5, 2009 at 2:30:36 pm

Sennheiser G2 transmitters and receivers can be adjusted to accept a line level signal. It's not terribly obvious in the menus on the devices themselves. I believe the selection you want from the menu on the transmitter is Sens (or some abbreviation of "sensitivity"). If you plug into the PA and the signal is distorted sounding in your camera, adjust the sensitivity in the transmitter down. If it's still too hot and distorted sounding with the sensitivity all the way down, you can adjust the receiver on the camera as well. Except, on the receiver's menu it's not called sensitivity, it's called RF Out, or something like that. Turn it down and see if it sounds better.

Ty's right. You can't expect anyone at the venue to know anything. I was at a friend's wedding recently and the sound of the reception music was dreadful. All they had was a wireless handheld mic pointed at a cheap computer speaker that was playing an iTunes mix from a laptop. I wanted to see if I could take a look at what was going on and perhaps improve things a bit, so I started asking if anyone knew where the guts of sound system was located. None of the staff had any idea. I had to find it myself, and when I found it, it was such a hopeless mess that there was nothing I could do without disrupting the reception, so I didn't do anything. What's crazy is that it was a pretty fancy place.

Dmitriy - For the PA are you using the beltpack transmitter with the locking mini-plug input, or the plug-on transmitter with the 3-pin XLR input?

Return to posts index

Dmitriy Dribinskiy
on May 5, 2009 at 2:34:19 pm

Thanks for advise. I am using a Sennheiser transmitter with the 3-pin XLR input. But not all of the PA have XLR, so I always care adapters.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]