FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camcorder XLR Audio Adapters

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dmitriy Dribinskiy
Camcorder XLR Audio Adapters
on May 2, 2009 at 12:12:30 pm

Please tell me if it's good idea or not. I need to add an extra sound source (total 3) to my Sony Z1U with 2 XLRs. On-camera mic + 2 wireless receivers. I was looking for Camcorder XLR Audio Adapter. Which one should I go with? Beachtek? Juicedlink (w/Preamplifier / gain control)? Seems like they all have 1/8" (3.5mm) Mini Output. Should I get a transformer? Or it's not good idea at all? I do realize that as a result I will have just 2 channels, and mixing down 2 wireless is OK. Thanks

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Camcorder XLR Audio Adapters
on May 2, 2009 at 4:20:46 pm

While it's tecnically possible to have a passive circuit mix two signals into one, you have no control. What happens if one mic becomes too loud compared to the other, etc. Your best approach is to feed one wireless to each channel and bag the on-camera mic (which will probably give you distant sound anyway). Otherwise, you'd need a mixer to handle 3 inpits down to two. Make sure you adjust the mics and camera to the correct audio levels. And test it out before your shoot.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 2, 2009 at 10:57:43 pm

Hello Dimitriy and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

Will the Sony allow the camera mic and two xlr inputs? My Canon XL2 won't.

You're at that critical stage where if you need three inputs, I'd steer you to the Sound Devices 302 mixer. It has preamps, which you may well need. It's light years better than the beachtek or juiced box.

Yes it costs more, but it's worth every penny.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 3, 2009 at 3:40:44 pm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/577161-REG/Beachtek_MIX_2_Mix_2_Passi...

lets you use xlr cable out and in. it's designed for what you asked. but I'd go with a real mixer. i think the xlr adapters are best for starter kits when you don't want to strain the mini-plug port.

OSX 10.5.3; MAC PRO 2 X 2.8 GHZ (EARLY 2008); FCP Suite; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170;Canon xl2; Pana consumer cams; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Dmitriy Dribinskiy
on May 3, 2009 at 4:53:11 pm

For the mixers, what do you guys think about Azden FMX-20 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/329015-REG/Azden_FMX_20_FMX_20_Microp...

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 4, 2009 at 12:25:48 am

D,

If I thought Azden would be a good choice for you, I would have said so. When You see Azden, keep your money in your pocket and move on. Sound Devices 302.

Sincerely,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Dmitriy Dribinskiy
on May 4, 2009 at 2:39:17 am

The Sound Devices 302 looks great, but kind of out of my price range. Is there any alternative? I was looking at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/4962/Portable_Mixers.html. Maybe
ATI - Audio Technologies? Thanks for advise... BTW, how about Sound Devices Mixpre - Portable 2 Channel Microphone Field Mixer (I do realize it has 2 inputs, not 3)?

Return to posts index

Sam Mallery
on May 4, 2009 at 2:18:04 pm

The Sound Devices 302 rocks. I was lucky enough to be able to finally buy one last year. The thing is, not everyone has $1300 to drop on a mixer.

I bought a camcorder XLR adpater in 2004. I needed it for a student film I was making at the time, and I was so terribly broke back then that the $120 I had to spent on the device was more than I could afford. I put it on a credit card that I didn't pay off for six months.

But you know what? Now that I have a 302, I still need the camcorder XLR adapter. My video camera only has an 1/8" mic input. The 302 has XLR master outputs that you can drop down to mic level. It also has an aux output that does not drop down to mic level. I don't own a y-cable that goes from dual female XLR to 1/8" stereo mini to plug the masters of the 302 into my camera. So I use my Studio 1 Productions XLRBP camcorder XLR adapter to plug my 302 into my camera. It works really well.

That same company also makes a model that has 3 XLR inputs. You could get by with this for now, and eventually upgrade to a nice mixer when you have the means:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/283321-REG/Studio_1_Productions_XLRBP...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]