FORUMS: list search recent posts

5.1 theatrical vs. DVD

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Curda
5.1 theatrical vs. DVD
on Apr 28, 2009 at 2:08:45 am

Hi Guys,

Can anybody help clear up the debate about 5.1 channel assignments for DVD vs. Theatrical? I was told that the proper layout for DVD is L, R, C, Lfe, Ls, Rs, as opposed to L, C, R, Ls, Rs, Lfe for theatrical. The LCR has always worked for me for both... Am I missing something?

G

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
Re: 5.1 theatrical vs. DVD
on Apr 29, 2009 at 6:56:14 am

I know LRC is the SMPTE standard, and LCR is the film standard... Does it make any difference going to DVD???

Anybody???

Return to posts index

Martin Schinz
on Apr 30, 2009 at 10:40:23 am

As the audio is encoded to an AC3 stream for the DVD Mastering anyway, it doesn't really matter in what way you mix or deliver it, as long as it is clearly labeled for channel assignment.
Hope that helps,
martin

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on May 1, 2009 at 11:59:57 am

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the response. As far as encoding goes, does it make a difference in the routing? Have been using ProTools with the Neyrink plugin, and it seems to accept either layout, so I just stick to LCR. The resultant channel steering is fine when loading the ac3 into a WD hard drive playout box, and output via optical. Is the DVD spec any different, or an ac3 is an ac3?

Thanks,

G

Return to posts index

Martin Schinz
on May 2, 2009 at 8:23:00 pm

Hey Greg,
there is obviously quite a few parameters that influence the encoding of the ac3, most decidedly the dialnorm level and the bitrate. If you have access to Final Cut the documentation for apples Compressor software is quite complete on this subject.
The ac3 you create should play on any 5.1 player, as the channel panning information is encoded into the bitstream, so nothing more to worry about once the audio is in this format.
Hope that helps,
Martin

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on May 4, 2009 at 12:41:28 am

Thanks, Martin...

I guess it might just be a question of competing specs...Our ac3s are generally encoded on the Sound side via PT and Neyrink, but I do have access to FCP and will review the Compressor documentation for any discprepancies. Thanks again for the feedback...

G

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]