FORUMS: list search recent posts

bass roll-off question?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
bass roll-off question?
on Apr 28, 2009 at 12:58:23 am

I am trying to replicate the sound of an old style desk fan. I used a Nemann TLM103 as my mail mic. To stay out of the wind and get as close to the fan as I could, I tilted the mic down and had it about inches to a ft above the fan. I think my ears are so burned, that I can't tell anymore, but my friends say it sounds like a fan. I have an Mbox and am using a pair of event active monitors.

Now there is a low end rumbling. The only space I had was a small bathroom, where I could hang some sound blankets, but it was so small the fan had to sit on the toilet. Funny? anyway, I have something in the bass that I wondered if it was ok to use the 7 band EQ in pro tools to roll it off. Or should I try and further isolate the frequency. I hope I can put it up as a link so you can hear it. Anyway, should I re-record, but on a hard surface to keep the sounds of the "bowl" and floor from adding to the bass. With a desk fan, I thought the bass would add to the sound.

Anyway, I need to get rid of the low end rumbling.

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
Re: bass roll-off question?
on Apr 28, 2009 at 2:01:54 am

Hi Nelson,

I'm sure the toilet acted as a resonator for the fan motor, hence the rumble. You can roll it off, or dip, till you're happy. Frequently in Sound Design, a mechanical object is recorded from several different vantage points and the sounds are EQed and layered to produce the desired effect. If you like the fan, I would record it again, from several perspectives, try layering, and library those recordings

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Apr 28, 2009 at 2:16:42 am

Thanks Greg,

I am a video guy that does a lot of VO. I don't have a lot of background in sound. I recorded the sound for an hour. Should I just take 5 minute samples and layer them together while looping. I have never looped before. I have tried and it didn't come out to well. Is there an article on how to loop sounds..any sound, not a loop in Sountrack Pro or a sound efx?

G5, 1.7, 4MB RAM, 30"cine, G4, 1.6 2MB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 5. Pro Tools, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on Apr 28, 2009 at 2:30:48 am

Hi Nelson.

OMG, why would you need 1 hour? For looping, 2 or 3 minutes is generally enough. 5 is fine. That is, unless you are doing a conceptual piece and want to show the subtle changes in sound of the fan over a long period of time...doubtful. Also the different perspectives of the fan will give you options when you go to different shots. The base sound of the fan should remain constant though to tie it together...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]